Sleepy Russian Tortoise

Nicole B4

Location (City and/or State)
Munster, Indiana
Hello there! I've done lots of research and have adopted a Russian tortoise, who i have named Frankie. A woman seriously had him listed on craigslist because her son wasn't taking care of him enough and she didn't know how (or didn't want) to help take care of him. He seems to be healthy and is very friendly, he likes to have his shell pet and enjoys sitting with me with his head out if his shell. However, he seems to be sleeping a lot when in his enclosure. As in, not moving for days, asleep. I keep the basking light on during the day and turn it off at night. Is it possible he is hibernating? What could be going on? They said they got him from the woman's sister who got him from petco 2 years before, how old could he be? could this be affecting him?

Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
I think pictures of your tort and his enclosure will help the more experienced keepers figure out what's going on.
Do you know what the temperatures are in the enclosure? What is his diet?

Nicole B4

Munster, Indiana
I think pictures of your tort and his enclosure will help the more experienced keepers figure out what's going on.
Do you know what the temperatures are in the enclosure? What is his diet?

I can try to post pictures when i get home, but:

Currently he is in a 20 gallon tank that the other owners kept him in. He has a hide, a basking rock, food dish, and some water. The bottom is a dirt type substrate. The substrate was a top priority as the other owners just had soiled magazine paper down there for him. (YIKES)

(Don't worry it is temporary he is in a tank as we are waiting for a proper tortoise box to come in the mail, and i didn't want to suddenly change everything about his environment so that he can adjust to us first. When the ground unfreezes outside we will be putting together an outdoor enclosure for him as well, but right now it is too cold to build anything and he wouldn't be properly adjusted to cold weather due to being kept indoors his whole life)

The temperatures should be about 70-75 degrees all around but warmer in his basking area as he has a heat lamp.

He currently is eating some tortoise pellets with lettuce and carrots supplemented in but he doesn't seem to like the carrots. I know he is eating some of the pellets at least because I've spot cleaned some poop.

I have soaked him a few times as when i first brought him home he was extremely dry and dehydrated looking, and he looks a lot better now.

He seems to sleep in his hide or in the cool area of his habitat.

Nicole B4

Munster, Indiana
Here is a photo of Frankie in the car with me the day I brought him home. (very cute!) The picture doesn't really show how dry looking he was, but he looks better now.

Attachments

• Frankie 2.PNG
    Frankie 2.PNG
    112.2 KB · Views: 28

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and Welcome

Frankie needs lots of space.... He is probably full grown and will need a minimum of 4'x8' as Russians are very active and love to dig and climb

An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with heavy duty plastic or pond liner makes a great tortoise table. What you have ordered is likely to be far too small.

He will be quite happy with it down to 65F at night, but by day he must be able to bask at 95-100F for 12-14 hours. He needs the lights bright and plenty of warmth at this time of year to stay awake.

His diet is weedy and leafy greens. He cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods like carrot, fruit, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

He will benefit from a daily soak in warm water of at least 20 minutes. Use a large flat bottomed bowl that he can't see over or through, a washing up bowl is ideal, and have the water at 95F. The water should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron. You will probably find he is most cooperative first thing in the morning before he has warmed up properly. Don't be surprised if he poops and/or pees in the water; that's normal.

I suggest that you read these guides written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/