sleepy tortoise

Einsteinismine

My tortoise seems to be sleeping alot. We take him out side he goes in a corner burrows a bit, then sleeps. We bring him downstairs to get some exercise he finds a corner and sleeps... In his table all he seems to do is sleep... For some reason it doesn't seem right... It's June and he isn't being prepared for hibernation so I don't know what's wrong??

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . I wish you had sent a pict cause if it's a Russian tort and the weather is real warm the tort will dig in to stay cool . If it's a baby tort it will try to hide because everything will try to eat it . So here are a few things that may help . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is not normal activity for a full grown russian tortoise, however, if the tortoise is a baby, it is quite normal.

Best thing for you to do is re-read the russian tortoise care sheet (you'll fine it at the top of the Russian section here on the forum), then make any adjustments to your tortoise-keeping practices and to his habitat and lighting.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
This is not normal activity for a full grown russian tortoise, however, if the tortoise is a baby, it is quite normal.

Best thing for you to do is re-read the russian tortoise care sheet (you'll fine it at the top of the Russian section here on the forum), then make any adjustments to your tortoise-keeping practices and to his habitat and lighting.

I might have to disagree on you saying that it is not natural behavior for an adult.

Russians do estivate when temperatures reach such levels that they go dormant to escape the heat.
Perhaps the temperatures is getting too high for the tortoise?

Joey