Sluggish Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovegeorge

5 Year Member
:tort:

Hello Everyone!

We have just got George - our perfect little redfoot tortoise :)

We got him on sunday and has been a little sluggish - sometimes he gets up in the evening around 8pm on his own accord, has a little wander and eats his food then after about half an hour wanders back to his hide.
He was quite active the first day we got him but since then he has been a little shy and we usually have to wake him up so he eats something. Is it just a case of nerves? We have only had him for 4 days now and i am tempted to put it down to the fact that he is just getting used to his own surroundings and he will become a bit more active in a few days when he is good and ready.

His temperatures are 85 in his 'hot end' of the tank, 90 in the hot spot and 75 in the cool end.

We use moisture retaining bark for substrate.
He has a cutle fish bone to help keep his beak down and a water tray.

His diet consists of spinch, tomato, apple, pear and a couple of meal worms - with calcium powder. He also has a small amount of grated carrot and courgette on occassion.

He has a ceramic bulb and some slate for his basking spot and a nice dark hide in the cool end.

Any tips would be very much appreciated, i would mainly like to know why he is being so shy and i hope its just because hes new to his surroundings.

Many Thanks :) xx

Georgie Porgie.jpg
P.s. i have attached a picture of our little george :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ilovegeorge:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

I don't know too much about redfoot tortoises, but I can tell you that in general it takes a tortoise several days and sometimes up to a couple weeks to settle in and relax in their hew home.

Also, your diet might be tweaked just a bit. Go to Madkins007 page and in his signature he has "tortoise library." There are some good suggestions in there on how to feed and take care of a redfoot.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Hi! This really does not sound that bad, especially for a new tortoise. I would not usually bother waking them up unless they showed NO sign of eating all day, then I double check temps and humidity first.

I would give you an E for effort on your diet, but only a C or C+ on the actual choices. Not bad, but could be better. There are several good diet ideas on-line- both my own- http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/diet.html, or a list of other ideas at http://tortoiselibrary.com/helpfullinks.html

The site can also help you look at issues like housing, etc. more carefully, or point you to other good sites.

ilovegeorge

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and your warm welcoming :)

I am Steph and I live in yorkshire in the UK with my partner Dave and little George!

I will definitely have a look at the care sheets that have been suggested.

Have you guys all had tortoises for long? xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.