Slugs and White Tiny Bugs!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hey tortoise enthusiasts!

So my tortoises indoor enclosure has tiny slugs and tiny white bugs. Is this ok for my tortoise? I read that slugs are fine, but I'm really concerned about these gross white tiny tiny bugs. There are a ton of them! My first question is, should I get rid of them. I've been looking on this website and seen "bio active" substrate, not sure if my situation is what they were referring to but is this a good thing or bad thing. If its bad, i know its highly difficult to get rid of them and the ways to do it, but should I try??
and if any of you were wondering what the substrate is, it's a mix of topsoil and sphagnum moss. I would love any advice or opinions!

Prairie Mom

I don't think either of them would be harmful to your tortoise. If I had slugs in my enclosure, I would probably hand pick them out whenever I saw them, because they are ravenous eaters, have the exact same diet as your tortoise, and breed in large numbers. I don't need little crawlies eating my tortoise's food! The tiny white bugs are probably springtails, but I'm uncertain if this is the right name. I had an infestation of the teeny white bugs in my tortoise enclosure a while back. They congregated to my water dish. I simply shop vac'd the water dish out every morning and eventually their numbers diminished and they seemed to go away. My tortoise was not bothered by them, but I felt better getting rid of them.

I've also had a few pill bugs and a couple harmless spiders in my enclosure that I brought in from plants I grew outside. I found these critters to be surprisingly helpful and allowed them to stay. The pill bugs helped take care of decomposing pieces of leftover grass in the substrate, while the spider kept the fruit flies/fungus gnats in check.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I don't think either of them would be harmful to your tortoise. If I had slugs in my enclosure, I would probably hand pick them out whenever I saw them, because they are ravenous eaters, have the exact same diet as your tortoise, and breed in large numbers. I don't need little crawlies eating my tortoise's food! The tiny white bugs are probably springtails, but I'm uncertain if this is the right name. I had an infestation of the teeny white bugs in my tortoise enclosure a while back. They congregated to my water dish. I simply shop vac'd the water dish out every morning and eventually their numbers diminished and they seemed to go away. My tortoise was not bothered by them, but I felt better getting rid of them.

I've also had a few pill bugs and a couple harmless spiders in my enclosure that I brought in from plants I grew outside. I found these critters to be surprisingly helpful and allowed them to stay. The pill bugs helped take care of decomposing pieces of leftover grass in the substrate, while the spider kept the fruit flies/fungus gnats in check.

Thank you so much for all the helpful information!! I really appreciate it! The springtails seem to gather around the slate that I put my tortoises food on. There around and underneath it, along with the slugs, which I will now start to remove! I didnt know that they would start eaten up my torts food and that they produce in high numbers! How do you wash out your torts water bowls? Do you just use hot water? I was was wondering if there was a way to really sanitize them but in a safe and healthy way.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I have also had many bugs in my enclosures and plants, for me it is a matter of identifying and monitoring. If they don't cut into Odin food supply or make a nuisance of themselves, they can stay. I had whiteflies and they had to go, I had Ichneumon wasps and they had to go. I have earthworms, soil centipedes and spiders, they stay. :)

*edit to add: I also had fungus gnats, but once the soil centipedes established themselves they haven't been an issue.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I have also had many bugs in my enclosures and plants, for me it is a matter of identifying and monitoring. If they don't cut into Odin food supply or make a nuisance of themselves, they can stay. I had whiteflies and they had to go, I had Ichneumon wasps and they had to go. I have earthworms, soil centipedes and spiders, they stay. :)

*edit to add: I also had fungus gnats, but once the soil centipedes established themselves they haven't been an issue.

thank you for your response! Its nice to know that its ok for some little critters to be in there. Especially because they're so hard to get rid of! I think if I find some rollie pollies I might add some of those in, I heard they were good to have around and may even eat the white bugs.

Prairie Mom

How do you wash out your torts water bowls? Do you just use hot water? I was was wondering if there was a way to really sanitize them but in a safe and healthy way.
There is probably a better answer out there, but I just use dish soap and wash them like I would my dishes. I use sponges and wash cloths when hand wash my regular house hold dishes. When it's time for me to get rid of a sponge or throw a cloth in the laundry, I usually grab an animal's bowl and wash it (whether it be cat, dog, or tortoise) and slowly rotate washing them all.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
There is probably a better answer out there, but I just use dish soap and wash them like I would my dishes. I use sponges and wash cloths when hand wash my regular house hold dishes. When it's time for me to get rid of a sponge or throw a cloth in the laundry, I usually grab an animal's bowl and wash it (whether it be cat, dog, or tortoise) and slowly rotate washing them all.

Oh ok that's great to know! I was doing that and got a little nervous that I might be leaving some soap residue on the bowls that could be toxic for them. But I guess if you make sure its fully washed out its good, and if its ok for humans, its ok for the torts! thanks again!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
How do you wash out your torts water bowls? Do you just use hot water? I was was wondering if there was a way to really sanitize them but in a safe and healthy way.
For regular cleaning I use extremely hot water water, hotter than I can touch. I drop the dishes in, let them sit until the water is cool enough to reach into, and then give them a wipe down. That's about once a month.
For sanitizing bleach is my go to. I only do it 1-2 times a year (unless I see something that warrants doing it sooner), but it is basically the same as above with the addition of a splash of bleach in the hot water. After the bleaching I rinse them thoroughly in more hot water and let them completely air dry before replacing them.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
For regular cleaning I use extremely hot water water, hotter than I can touch. I drop the dishes in, let them sit until the water is cool enough to reach into, and then give them a wipe down. That's about once a month.
For sanitizing bleach is my go to. I only do it 1-2 times a year (unless I see something that warrants doing it sooner), but it is basically the same as above with the addition of a splash of bleach in the hot water. After the bleaching I rinse them thoroughly in more hot water and let them completely air dry before replacing them.

Ok thanks! thats another great idea. I think its time for me to give the dishes a good clean, so Ill try that!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member

now what about little tiny idk what there called centipede things. There like the ones you usually find dead in the basement or attic. Are those safe? Because they're about 6 with my tort!!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member

I think i have soil centipedes or something that resembles a very tiny tan centipede. I typically used to find them dead in my basement when we were renovating! Are those safe for my little buddy?? Do they do any good??

They also curl up into a spiral thing, if that helps you at all!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I think i have soil centipedes or something that resembles a very tiny tan centipede. I typically used to find them dead in my basement when we were renovating! Are those safe for my little buddy?? Do they do any good??
now what about little tiny idk what there called centipede things. There like the ones you usually find dead in the basement or attic. Are those safe? Because they're about 6 with my tort!!

Prairie Mom

Hmmm...I'm not sure the exact kind you're referring to. Since you said they curl up, I'm wondering if they're millipedes, but I really don't know my bugs. Here's a webpage that you may want to peek at... http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/sowbugs-millipedes-centipedes/

If they're the ones I think they are, they probably only eat decaying leaf litter type stuff which would help clean your substrate. Thanks little buddies! :) If they're small centipedes they may help take care of your other insect issues. I wouldn't be too worried. Again, if you get too many, you can always grab them out as you see them.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Oh thanks for all the info! I guess I'll leave them in there, they don't seem to be doing any harm. And if the eat the left over leaves that's even better!! Thank you again!!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hmmm...I'm not sure the exact kind you're referring to. Since you said they curl up, I'm wondering if they're millipedes, but I really don't know my bugs. Here's a webpage that you may want to peek at... http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/sowbugs-millipedes-centipedes/

If they're the ones I think they are, they probably only eat decaying leaf litter type stuff which would help clean your substrate. Thanks little buddies! :) If they're small centipedes they may help take care of your other insect issues. I wouldn't be too worried. Again, if you get too many, you can always grab them out as you see them.

And thank for that link! I was actually looking at the website yesterday, it's very informative! I think they are in the -Pede category, so that's good! A little clean up crew would be nice because it's so hard to pick up all the little bits and pieces!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+

If they are soil centipedes, yes, they are good! But the curling up makes me think they might be millipedes. Millipedes are beneficial for removing detritus like dead plants, but they can also damage seedlings. Centipedes are predators, so they will eat other bugs and larvae. Mine destroyed my fungus gnat problem in no time!
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/soil-centipedes

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Ok that's good to know! Thanks again! Glad to know all about these little critters and the little functions they serve to do!