SLUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Is it ok for a redfoot to eat a slug. I live in Alabama and i have tons that get on my porch. I know my little guy needs protien, so i was wondering if he could have them since they are simalar to snails.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Slugs are just fine for Redfoots :D Just make sure no one around your house has been poisoning slugs in their yard.

Danny

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
you can put them in a container with corn meal to cleanse them. If my memory serves me right that is something that is done with escargot (aka snails (other) people eat) :(

Dawna

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Slugs are great for your RFs. Just be sure they are clean of slug poison. I'm sure they eat many in the wild.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks Guys I'm gonna try giving him one this week. When they it snails though do they eat the shell and all???

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, all my torts eat them shell and all. I consider it a fine source of calcium.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
back a long time ago when I had a box turtle he used to love to eat snails so I imagine slugs wold be ok, the only disturbing part is when you hear them crunching on the shells . gives me the heebie jeebies.I now feed them to my water turtles when I find them their numbers have dwindled in my area? I wonder why lol

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Jarrow, one thing to keep in mind when feeding slugs is to remember that they are like glue. So anything they come into contact with while the tortoise is eating them...like sand, mulch or small rocks, is likely to also get ingested by the feeding tortoise.
When I feed the occasional slug to mine I place them on a big slab of concrete that is free of debris.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
dmmj said:
back a long time ago when I had a box turtle he used to love to eat snails so I imagine slugs wold be ok, the only disturbing part is when you hear them crunching on the shells . gives me the heebie jeebies.I now feed them to my water turtles when I find them their numbers have dwindled in my area? I wonder why lol

Thanks everyone I'll keep all of this in mind, I doubt he can crunch a snail yet lol......... About their numbers going down i do know they are kinda like mulusks and can absorb polution around them through their skin so that could be possible reason of there decline

drgpenardo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is wild! LOL I never gave this any thought. They eat the craziest things sometimes. I used to use forest bark from zoomed and Gracie used to love to eat it when I would put fresh in. My hubs once saw her eat a rather large piece and never batted an eye. I was sooooo happy she didn't get impacted. But now I know any snail/slug doesn't stand a chance in my yard. He's breakfast now.

Status
Not open for further replies.