Small signs of pyramiding

Wish Lin

Location (City and/or State)
Taipei, Taiwan
These two cute fellas are both about 1.5 years old and are doing great, but about a week ago I started noticing some really small pyramiding:
E1F060A9-3564-4D50-8C08-97B941E4ABEB.jpegE1741FC6-3A8D-4280-85C4-3B3CDFC4698D.jpeg
They are in a sun bathing box by the way their enclosure is much bigger than that.

They get a soak for 20 mins everyday and I sprinkle water on their carapace everyday as well. The humidity level of their enclosure is also constantly above 70%. I think the problem might be that they don’t have a substrate to dig in(their substrate is only about 3cms deep because their enclosure is made out of shallow wooden wine trays) but it has always be humid in their enclosure and they never try to dig into the substrate as far as I see( they both have a small cave made out of wooden wine boxes with a temp/humidity monitor inside) what should I do to stop this from continuing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
70% is good for ambient humidity, but they need humid microclimates that are 80-100%. Humid hide boxes and plant bases to dig into. Deep damp substrate will help too.

Housing them in a closed chamber will also help a lot, but they don't have all that much growing left do and this pattern is pretty well set for them. They both look great, so I would not stress too much over this.