Smart devices for torts/other reptiles

MillerJ

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I've been using two smart devices for my reptiles. A power-strip with four plugs and A thermostat. It has really been good for me and my wife. We don't have to flip 30 switches a day and have more control over the timers. The thermostat has been really nice I use it in my outdoor nightbox. I really like that I can set alarms for high and low temps, log temps every 15 mins, and check temps remotely.

If anyone else uses smart devices with their setup I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Screenshot_20190609-200451.jpg Screenshot_20190609-200440.jpg Screenshot_20190609-200423.jpg Screenshot_20190609-200405.jpg Screenshot_20190609-200341.jpg Screenshot_20190609-200334.jpg

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Probably not what you are going for but I have Blink cameras on all my tortoise enclosures so I can check in on them any time. Best part is no wiring is required so I can have them out in the middle of the enclosure so long as it's within wifi range.

MillerJ

MN
Probably not what you are going for but I have Blink cameras on all my tortoise enclosures so I can check in on them any time. Best part is no wiring is required so I can have them out in the middle of the enclosure so long as it's within wifi range.
I want to do cameras for the yard, but run wiring was holding me back. I'll have to check those out.

MillerJ

MN
Cameras are very useful, especially if you have an out door tort.
Definitely we had a hail warning last week so I raced home early from work. Found him in his hide nice and safe. Would have been nice to check remotely. I was happy to see he has a sense of self preservation when the weather takes a turn.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Definitely we had a hail warning last week so I raced home early from work. Found him in his hide nice and safe. Would have been nice to check remotely. I was happy to see he has a sense of self preservation when the weather takes a turn.
I have baby tortoises who love to climb so with a camera I can check if they have fallen on their backs, very handy when I’m out.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I've been using two smart devices for my reptiles. A power-strip with four plugs and A thermostat. It has really been good for me and my wife. We don't have to flip 30 switches a day and have more control over the timers. The thermostat has been really nice I use it in my outdoor nightbox. I really like that I can set alarms for high and low temps, log temps every 15 mins, and check temps remotely.

If anyone else uses smart devices with their setup I'd love to hear about your experiences.

View attachment 274354 View attachment 274355 View attachment 274356 View attachment 274357 View attachment 274358 View attachment 274359
Do you have links for the devices you're using? That temperature monitoring looks nice [emoji846]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I too use temperature sensors, part of Baltimore Gas & Electric home sensors program.

I have a sensor in our Sullys night box, provides readouts of the temps and one can set up alert rules too. I receive an emsil if temp drops below 80.

Yesterdays log

46216A9C-DC07-402B-889F-8F1DA4C0422C.jpeg

MillerJ

MN
Do you have links for the devices you're using? That temperature monitoring looks nice [emoji846]
I really like this and it seems accurate. Tested it with a temp gun and a digital thermometer, but I've only had it running for 5 weeks now so we'll see how it holds up over time.
Inkbird C929 Smart Digital WiFi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8MBLSQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Super nice been using the power strips for 3 years now holds up well.
Smart Power Strip WiFi Surge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779R4879/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

MillerJ

MN
I too use temperature sensors, part of Baltimore Gas & Electric home sensors program.

I have a sensor in our Sullys night box, provides readouts of the temps and one can set up alert rules too. I receive an emsil if temp drops below 80.

Yesterdays log

View attachment 274379
For your alerts what is you hi temp? I tried 80f for my low but it would go off whenever I opened it up for cleaning and the alerts would **** my wife off so now it's at 65f.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
For your alerts what is you hi temp? I tried 80f for my low but it would go off whenever I opened it up for cleaning and the alerts would **** my wife off so now it's at 65f.

Hey, i don’t have a high temp alert set since i don’t have that problem. I was more interested to see if/when the temp dropped below 80. My “alert” is a an email tipper - no alarm/noise.

MillerJ

MN
I have moved to a hi temp alarm of 105f and a low of 65f. Seems to be working and should be safe.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I am going to try 1 of these
Inkbird IBS TH1 Mini Data Logger Temp Humidity Bluetooth
I am an Inkbird fan as i use them for other things and have yet to fail me. and the price is pretty good.
Jack

MillerJ

MN
I am going to try 1 of these
Inkbird IBS TH1 Mini Data Logger Temp Humidity Bluetooth
I am an Inkbird fan as i use them for other things and have yet to fail me. and the price is pretty good.
Jack
Let me know how it works out. I was thinking about putting one in a vivarium with my GTP.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
I ordered the ibs th1......Not the mini. I liked the idea of the mini but it takes button batterys and is only good for 3 weeks. and I don't like button batterys...lol... The 1 I ordered takes 1 aaa battery and is good for 1 year. Will keep this updated when I get them.
Jack