Snake Hatchlings

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A lady came by a few weeks ago with some eggs that they disturbed
While cleaning up outside of a church. I knew they were snake eggs and figured I also knew what type of snake. I was wrong, I've never seen youngster's of this type of snake before. They are not rare in fact pretty common.KIMG2403.JPGany guesses.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a friend in Arizona that had 1" eggs that hatched. We both were thinking it was lizard eggs not snake. How can you tell the difference? She's been having a lot of snake visitors in her chicken yard. Several rattlesnakes and a harmless type also.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I have a friend in Arizona that had 1" eggs that hatched. We both were thinking it was lizard eggs not snake. How can you tell the difference? She's been having a lot of snake visitors in her chicken yard. Several rattlesnakes and a harmless type also.
Rattle snakes don't lay eggs. So no worries there. Here lizard eggs are much smaller than most snake eggs and are hard shelled like chicken eggs and the snake eggs are more playable almost soft.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok I'll take a guess. Milksnake maybe.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Rattle snakes don't lay eggs. So no worries there. Here lizard eggs are much smaller than most snake eggs and are hard shelled like chicken eggs and the snake eggs are more playable almost soft.
Yes. Tom helped me with that issue about rattlesnakes. So what size would most snake eggs be? My friend and I think it was a lizard egg but maybe not because it shrunk after hatching. It's hard to tell from the pictures she sent me of the egg that hatched. Sorry to bother you with these questions but I kinda like snakes.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yes. Tom helped me with that issue about rattlesnakes. So what size would most snake eggs be? My friend and I think it was a lizard egg but maybe not because it shrunk after hatching. It's hard to tell from the pictures she sent me of the egg that hatched. Sorry to bother you with these questions but I kinda like snakes.
The size of the egg would depend on the adult size of the snake. Are there lizards there that are large enough to lay eggs of that size?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The size of the egg would depend on the adult size of the snake. Are there lizards there that are large enough to lay eggs of that size?
It's Arizona. I don't know. The egg was around 1" and then shrunk after it hatched from what my friend told me. The 2 pictures show it. I'll try to find them and post. Sorry this is just too interesting.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's Arizona. I don't know. The egg was around 1" and then shrunk after it hatched from what my friend told me. The 2 pictures show it. I'll try to find them and post. Sorry this is just too interesting.🤗
9781.jpeg9784.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Northern Black Racer - Coluber constrictor constrictor
Yes, when I saw the eggs I was positive they were Black Rat Snake eggs. They are everywhere here in the beach area. I've seen 2 youngsters out in the yard this summer. There's 2 more eggs to hatch when they do I'm going to give them to the person that brought them to me so she can release close to where they were found.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, when I saw the eggs I was positive they were Black Rat Snake eggs. They are everywhere here in the beach area. I've seen 2 youngsters out in the yard this summer. There's 2 more eggs to hatch when they do I'm going to give them to the person that brought them to me so she can release close to where they were found.
I don't know the native species all that well, but I thought they looked like baby rat snakes too. Pretty cool!

We have red racers and striped racers out here and they are built a bit more slender than that.