Snakes

Bunny2746

Location (City and/or State)
Panhandlle of Florida
I want to make my box turtles enclosure bigger this spring with a larger place for water but I am concerned that snakes will be drawn to it. So tell me do snakes get in or do they stay away? Any thoughts?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I see you are in Florida, which might be different than In Eastern Pa, Where i am. I don't have any issues with Snakes, but maybe someone from Florida can chime in.

jakskillz

Georgia
ColleenT is right. Up north snakes are not too big a deal for box turtles but depending on where in Florida they can easily become a nuisance. Black racers like to hunt little frogs and toads. If you’re down in southern Florida the larger invasive species can come in. Box turtles are aggressive enough to fight off most snakes coming into their burrow but make sure to check carefully before you reach into their hides because Florida has too many poisonous snakes. Honestly though in Florida you should watch out for birds, raccoons, possums, armadillos. All which can prey on box turtles. Water may bring cranes or even attract hawks or osprey. I had an osprey drop a mud turtle shell in my backyard when I lived there. The shell was probably 4” so keep that in mind. But if you have adult box turtles and don’t live near the wilderness you may just get the occasional rat or black racer snake. Your turtles will chase them off or not be bothered.

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Thank you, and yes the turtles enclosure has to always have a top on it because of hawks and herons. Along with the worry of snakes Im always being surprised by skinks in the cage which I'm not fond of either.