1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sneezing

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by Kaylamae33, Mar 14, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kaylamae33

Kaylamae33 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Bedford, Indiana
    so my Russian Tortoise today has sneezed like 5 times. I looked up some thing on here about it and I think it was because my substrate was too dry( almost like sand dry) so I made it more moist like it was when I first got it. His humidity though stays at a solid 70% even before I made his substrate moist. His temp stays to about 70 on the cool side and 78 where the heat is. At night I haven’t been using any heat source because I read it was bad to do so. So I’m wondering if I might need to heat his enclosure at night again. His appetite is the same. He eats like a little hoss. I did have to change his feeding schedule from 10am to 530pm because I started a new job. I just hope this isn’t the start of a respiratory infections. Please give thoughts!
  2. T Smart

T Smart Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, IL
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi,

When looking at a sick tortoise, the first thing you should look at are the temperatures.

In your case, a 78 degree basing spot is way too low. You’ll need to bump it up to around 90-95, possibly a little higher until he starts feeling better.