Snot?

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Do tortoises generally have snot in their airways?
My 2 y/old Red foot tortoise who is a eating rabidly, drinking, getting soaked, right temps and humidity and extremely active. However I noticed a single (1) bubble come from her nose after her soak when her nose got a little wet with some warm water. This is the very first time that I have seen this with her… EVER!
Is there somthing wrong that I should be monitoring for? I will raise humitity and temps stat and keep an eye on it to see if symptoms progress. Anything else I should be doing? Also, do tortoises have a flu season? 🤣 😬

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A bubble or two after being submerged in water is pretty normal. They need to keep their nasal passages open to breath in air. There’s no “flue season” for tortoises.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
A bubble or two after being submerged in water is pretty normal. They need to keep their nasal passages open to breath in air. There’s no “flue season” for tortoises.
Great, thank you!
I was so worried.
I did clean her nose with a little bit of reptile safe saline from the vet and I went ahead and dried it off with some q-tips. Everything seems to be normal now, I did however go ahead and raise her humidity.. just in case. I also saw a little bit of clear snot substance come out of her nose when I wiped it with the q-tip, it did quickly dry up however?