Snowy owls in MD?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I go to work early.....like leaving the house 3:30-4AM early. On my way to work this morning...and since we have some guys here familiar with the area......on RT 301 South, about 3/4 of a mile south of RT 4, on the white line to the right, right there on the line was a Snowy Owl!! WTH???? I'm assuming he/she was hunting as it didn't look hurt but it was such a surprise that it took a moment to realize what I had seen.

I'm zipping on cruise at 62mph so stopping for a pic wasn't happening and there wasn't any traffic of course.....but that sure was a bit of a shocker!

I have a resident owl at my house....I have never been able to find him with my night vision gear but I hear him often at night. I didn't know that we had Snowy owls in MD and there was no mistaking that coat and head...beautiful bird!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Funny thread. We too have a new Owl friend in our back garden area. Each night about an hour after “sunset” it starts to call out. Does this for awhile then goes off to hunt I guess. Not sure what type (yet).

So yes….we have occasional visitor Snowy Owls. The other day Maryland Outdoors (on MPT) had a bit on their show about our elusive visitors.

This might be the one that you saw

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well how about that, I never had any idea that we had them here! Thanks, I learned my "new thing for the day" and it's before 5AM!