Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
DanaLachney said:
I agree with you whole heartedly but as I said in one of my earlier posts I assumed like she did that they had been removed. And if you know anything about shih tzus it's that they are VERY hairy dogs :) you must know my heart dropped when I saw what had become of his two "thumb" toes and I nearly cried because of it. I care very dearly for my animals and would never want them too hurt which is why I took him to the vet right away :)

Yes, I know Shih Tzu quite well, as I have in the past not only showed and trained several, but lived with one, too. ;) I think you need to just take this as a lesson, that you need to do actual mini physicals on your dog any time your petting, brushing or playing with him. This will help you to spot things like this or even if your dog picks up a tick. The groomer too, I hope takes this as a lesson to always check for dewclaws no matter if they know the dog lacks them.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Yes, I know Shih Tzu quite well, as I have in the past not only showed and trained several, but lived with one, too. ;) I think you need to just take this as a lesson, that you need to do actual mini physicals on your dog any time your petting, brushing or playing with him. This will help you to spot things like this or even if your dog picks up a tick. The groomer too, I hope takes this as a lesson to always check for dewclaws no matter if they know the dog lacks them.

I believe she is still young in fact I know she is younger than me I'm 27 so she is still learning I guess but she had to go through some training I assume. Anyhow lesson learned by both parties :) I'm usually very observant when it comes to things but sometimes things slip past you :-/ the main thing is I caught it in time before it got too bad and he is doing great and on antibiotics and was a real trooper at the vet :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
DanaLachney said:
I'm usually very observant when it comes to things but sometimes things slip past you :-/

That they do and more often then we would like to admit, or atleast for me. Truth is, I had something happen very close to yours. When I was in my teens, one of the dogs I owned and showed was a Lhasa Apso ( a lot like a bigger version of a Shih Tzu). I missed one of his dewclaws and caught it just as it was starting to press into the pad. :( The main thing is to take these things as a life's lesson and learn from them... which I am sure you will. ;)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
That they do and more often then we would like to admit, or atleast for me. Truth is, I had something happen very close to yours. When I was in my teens, one of the dogs I owned and showed was a Lhasa Apso ( a lot like a bigger version of a Shih Tzu). I missed one of his dewclaws and caught it just as it was starting to press into the pad. :( The main thing is to take these things as a life's lesson and learn from them... which I am sure you will. ;)

Yes Ma'am :)

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
*gets out the stern Mother-ish voice* "Don't Ma'am me young lady!"

:D :D

Ha you guys are great I'm so glad I found this forum y'all crack me up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.