So conflicted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
After weeks of researching and stalking ya'll on this forum. Reading every post about substrate, humidity, food, outdoor enclosures, soaking, hides, tables, flagging, personalities, etc...I was all set to get a hatchling Sulcutta when our local breeder has them available at the end of May. Then I spent a week and a half down and out with strep! While all our critters were well cared for by hubby and sons, I really felt bad. (Its a lot of work for the guys who are not used to doing ALL of it)
I came to the conclusion that we should wait a year or two before we add a tort to the menagarie.
Today, we went to the reptile store...Travis their 25 year old rescue sulcutta was out, as well as a few hatchling redfoots, and leopards. They are soooo damn cute!
The yearning has started all over again, oi!
I don't yet know what I'm going to decide on, but thank you for the wonderful forum. I have not once felt that I was looked down on for being such a newbie, but that the members truly want to help each other out. I feel confident that whatever information I may need, I'll be able to find sound, thoughtful, and caring advice here. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
LOL you came to the wrong place if you are asking for advice on how to avoid the yearnings for buying a tortoise. We are all tort addicts and we are 100% hooked, welcome to the club, and enjoy the ride :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Your positive feedback is so nice! Thanks for sharing and I say - just go ahead and take the plunge - you won't be sorry! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get out! Get out, while you still can!!!

I wouldn't trade my sulcatas for anything. Soon I'll be getting around 6 more. Want one? I'm going to hatch them myself and keep them humid from day one. I'm in SoCal. If you are close by I'll just give you one of mine.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Get out! Get out, while you still can!!!

I wouldn't trade my sulcatas for anything. Soon I'll be getting around 6 more. Want one? I'm going to hatch them myself and keep them humid from day one. I'm in SoCal. If you are close by I'll just give you one of mine.

Thank you Tom! I'm in southern Oregon, so not close by but I appreciate the offer :D
I'm very much back on the learning track right now, trying to decide...

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Why get 1 when you can get 2 or 6 or....Getting 1 is the start to the wonderful addiction known as keeping torts.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Good luck to you on the next phase of your life, the Tortoise Addiction. :D

They are fascinating and endearing little critters, and will keep you from doing housework and yardwork while you just watch them do their thing. Yes, it is a problem. ;)

Good luck!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Instead of buying a fragile hatchling.. why not adopt one in need? there are many.. no need to buy. They lve so long, so dont worry about that or bonding.. just get one that is already in need.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Yeh, I got one russian and am addicted.
Heartless i know, but I am even thinking of emptying my Dragon cage to make room for another tort.
If only I could find one thats perfect!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
LOL, thank you so much for all your help guys! (Why have I lost the smilies? I need the winking one!)

To answer the hatchling question, I have not found a rescue in my area. I figure CL is probably the closet thing I'll find. So I've been keeping an eye out, but not advertising that I'm looking for one. You know, 'If I'm supposed to have one, the perfect ad will just pop up'
It is very reassuring to see how many people, with a variety of animals, are so pleased to have torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.