So I might be adopting a Greek

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Well, at least they were giving him some calcium. He's a very good looking little tortoise. There's not much winter left but I would get him outside as much as you can on warm days. I live in Washington state and my right tortoise is outside 24 seven right now. As long as it doesn't get below 55 at night and it gets to at least 70 during the day mine is outdoors. As long as the sun is out you may find that the temperature on the ground in the enclosure is actually warmer than the air temperature. So 70 might sound low but it's usually at least 80 at ground level. You don't need night heat indoors. Unless your house gets very cold.
I think it's great that you got him, you will give him a much better life then he had. He will get used to eating new foods. But he might give you a stinky face a few times :) if I give my tortoise something she doesn't like she looks at me, wipes the food off of her plate with her front foot, and walks away. But after two or three days of this she will eat it. Then she asked like she's always loved it. Russians have quite an attitude :) :)
Check out the care sheets here on this site. There's a lot of great information and keep us posted on the progress of your new tortoise. Does he have a name?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Now I've been doing a lot of looking and I'm pretty sure you guys are right about Russian. I'm not familiar with the Mediterraneans at all. Either way this guy will have a much improved home.

I also just came across an adult yellowfoot at the local reptile expo. If I hadn't just rescued this tortoise this week I would have brought home that yellowfoot.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
After three days of not eating he either finally ate something or he just crawled through his dish. I know hunger strikes are fairly typical for these kind of situations, but I still find myself worrying a little.