So this happened....

Estella

Location (City and/or State)
california
So I this Saturday I was doing my regular water change and filter cleaning on my slider pond (which happens to be in my front yard) someone had left me a present, this new guy... I'm assuming someone wanted him to have a good home and couldn't keep him. However can anyone tell me what kind of red eared slider this is? He is clearly a color morph of some sort.20180903_162651.jpeg20180903_162642.jpeg

Estella

california
He's beautiful.
Sorry. I can't say.
All if them I see are 100% covered in algae
I have 9 other sliders, but they are all a shade of green or olive. I totally agree, he's gorgeous, definitely their loss. He's just so differently marked than all my others, granted he's much younger.

Estella

california
I can't help either. He is a beauty. Maybe @Markw84 can help here.
I picture(s) of your pond and turtles would be nice to see too. I miss having my pond, so love seeing pics of others.
This is everyone 3 boys 7 girls. Please keep in mind that they are all rescues except my original girl so some of them have deformed shells from previous owners.IMG_20180403_101612.jpegIMG_20180403_101513.jpegIMG_20180403_101453.jpegIMG_20171022_142310.jpegIMG_20171022_142324.jpegIMG_20171022_142401.jpegIMG_20171022_142437.jpegIMG_20171022_142508.jpegIMG_20171022_142533.jpeg20180903_162642.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, you got your hands full. Good for you rescuing them. None of them look that bad. Can sure tell you take good care of them. Never seen so many clean of algae.

Estella

california
Wow, you got your hands full. Good for you rescuing them. None of them look that bad. Can sure tell you take good care of them. Never seen so many clean of algae.
Yes I guess you could say they are spoiled. They get regular tooth brush scrubbings. And constant water changes. Red eared sliders are abandoned a lot especially once they out grow a tank or they become to much for the owner. I'm looking to build them a larger pond and enclosure, but it takes time and resources. For now this is their home.IMG_20171022_154449.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like it. I bet they do too. Yes, they do get abandoned a lot. Wish stores would quit selling them. They are never cared for properly in a store and like the sulcata, the correct info about their size never gets passed along. Sad.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There is a tremendous amount of variation in the coloration of Red-ears over their range. In addition to this geographic variation, breeders have been keeping the more vibrant colorations and now sell albinos as well as what they call "pastels". The variation you have here is one I have seen frequently and is a colorful variation that many would keep and propagate to sell offspring for more $ than a "typical" red-ear coloration.

With all the mixing and introductions of pets back into the wild, it is impossible to say where it came from. I have even seen one very similar to this one that was captured in a reservoir here in Central California a few years back!

So all we can say is that it is a color variation of a true red-ear slider. Enjoy your beautiful turtle!

Estella

california
There is a tremendous amount of variation in the coloration of Red-ears over their range. In addition to this geographic variation, breeders have been keeping the more vibrant colorations and now sell albinos as well as what they call "pastels". The variation you have here is one I have seen frequently and is a colorful variation that many would keep and propagate to sell offspring for more $ than a "typical" red-ear coloration.

With all the mixing and introductions of pets back into the wild, it is impossible to say where it came from. I have even seen one very similar to this one that was captured in a reservoir here in Central California a few years back!

So all we can say is that it is a color variation of a true red-ear slider. Enjoy your beautiful turtle!
Thank you so much for you input, I'd also like to clarify that I am not a breeder or looking to breed my turtles for $$ or otherwise. I just want to make sure they have a good home and was curious about if he needed any special care due to his coloring. I do know that some albino turtles have sun sensitivity.