So what are your "tortoise rules"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
This can pertain to anything about your tortoise. Food, lighting, humidity, heat, handling, roaming, whatever you want to discuss. Rules you have set in place.

Rule #1 with me is that NO ONE touches my leopard tortoise but me! At least during the first year. I only touch it to soak, and that's it. No playing around with it because I think this time is crucial for development. People can look, but not touch!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I'm generally very relaxed. I was strict when I got Emrys, but now my only two rules are that I won't ever disturb him when he's in his hide and that I don't pick him up unless he's walked over to my hand.

I was at first strict about light times, but now he gets approximately fourteen hours but his on/off times vary depending on when I wake up and go to bed. I also used to provide a 'measured' amount of food. Now, I throw loads in and don't wait for him to finish it. If it's still there a few days later, I just throw more in anyway. His enclosure's usually full of all different types of food, but he doesn't eat more than he needs and I figure it gives him plenty of choice!

Humidity and heat are obviously checked regularly.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
cherylim said:
I'm generally very relaxed. I was strict when I got Emrys, but now my only two rules are that I won't ever disturb him when he's in his hide and that I don't pick him up unless he's walked over to my hand.

I was at first strict about light times, but now he gets approximately fourteen hours but his on/off times vary depending on when I wake up and go to bed. I also used to provide a 'measured' amount of food. Now, I throw loads in and don't wait for him to finish it. If it's still there a few days later, I just throw more in anyway. His enclosure's usually full of all different types of food, but he doesn't eat more than he needs and I figure it gives him plenty of choice!

Humidity and heat are obviously checked regularly.

Yes I should have omitted the obvious. lol

The only time I "disturb" mine is when I snatch it up from its nest in the morning for a soak. It really doesn't seem to mind it anymore. That's it. I never touch it again for the rest of the day and I make sure no one else does either.

EKLC

5 Year Member
My biggest rule is to disinfect hands between torts (this is especially important because my girlfriend works with mycoplasma infected gopher tortoises)

Other than that, I leave them outside if it's 72+ and sunny, or anytime its 80+
and keep my thermostat on 80 in the enclosure (which usually means my torts are sleeping somewhere 78 degrees).

I also add a fiber source to every meal, so even though its winter now and spring mix is their dominant food, I'm adding hay and grass to it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess I don't have any rules. I will handle mine and kiss his cute little face when ever I want. I will let others hold him, except I have to hand him to them. I feel the more you handle, the less shy they are and less hiding in their shell over every little movement.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I have one rule, but it's for my torts. No pooping in the car on the way to the vet's office!!!!!!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
RE: So what are your "tortoise rules"?

I have a few rules..
#1 The 8ft perimeter fence around the backyard/pens must be locked if no one home during the day and after the last person comes home in the evening. I live in a nice subdivision but I am still afraid of "losing" my torties.
#2 Someone must always be with them when they are taken out of individual pens and put together in big one during the afternoons, to keep eye on fence line and assure they are playing nice with each other.
#3 Only family can pick up torties, no friends... This applies to my teens.
#4 Only I feed them by hand.
So I would say my rules are all about safety for Torties and people .

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I like your rules BodaTort1. They seem like really good ones for people and children who tend to be irresponsible about certain things.:D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My biggest rule (more of a law, really) is that no biscotti shall be fed to the tortoises.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas

LovelyRosePetal.. You must have teens also! There are days I am not sure who makes a bigger mess of their pens/rooms!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

shellysmom said:
I have one rule, but it's for my torts. No pooping in the car on the way to the vet's office!!!!!!

Ha ha ha!!!

Edna said:
My biggest rule (more of a law, really) is that no biscotti shall be fed to the tortoises.

Hmmmmm...there must be a story behind this rule/law!!!! :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I don't really have any rules on the books, because we don't entertain company that often. The few that show any interest in seeing the tortoises rarely ask to touch them, but if kids are involved, and time and their own maturity permits, I may pick one up and let them have a closer look and even touch. I always have hand sanitizer available.

Other than that, I'm pretty meticulous about keeping things clean and washing my hands after doing anything with the animals, since I have little tykes about. I have yet to come across a need to take any of mine to the vet, but I do have containers for each of them, specific ones reserved for each tortoise.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I don't have any particular rules other than I don't let anyone pick him up. Even when I carry him I place him in a small sweater box so he doesn't accidentally wiggle free. I'm super cautious with kids, a neighbor of mine wants to do nothing more than carry him around and i'm constantly getting on him.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I give instructions to the babysitter for their basic cares and daily menu. She does the routine soaking and feeding except on saturday, sunday and holidays, where I spent most of the daytime caring for them.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
jtrux said:
I don't have any particular rules other than I don't let anyone pick him up. Even when I carry him I place him in a small sweater box so he doesn't accidentally wiggle free. I'm super cautious with kids, a neighbor of mine wants to do nothing more than carry him around and i'm constantly getting on him.

I worry about that sometimes too, especially when it's wet after a soak and kicking to get free. I had a dream that it squirmed out of my grip and cracked on the kitchen floor like an egg.

I wonder how they'd handle a fall like that? Would the shell protect them or crack? Would there be internal damage? Not that I want anyone to do an experiment to find out.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is an interesting subject. Never thought of rules, but.........
If any tortoise is free in the hard, they are continuously supervised
If a tortoise in in any "dog" or other animal area, they are supervised.
I would never allow anyone to " play" with them.
Proper diet, lighting, substrate, hand washing.
That is most of it.
:)

MarissaRelf

5 Year Member
Oregon
#1: Hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer!
#2: All minors (except the owner, which would be me:p) must be supervised my me or my mom at all times in the animal room.
#3: only 1 animal species can be out of their enclosures/cages at a time. Never mix/interact!
#4: hands must be washed between handling different animals.
#5: My room/the animal room's door must be kept shut at all times unless I am in the room (dogs and animals do not mix)
Those are mostly rules that pertain to all my animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.