Soak day in this incredible heat wave

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do fine in the sun soaking. They hide in shade all day so allowing them to get sun is good.
Absolutely sun is good but not if they over heat. The warning Alex and the Redfoot gave you is very legit.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Soaking though really should be in warm water not cold. Not hot, but not cold.
Well we are in a heat wave here so cold water will only stay cold in direct sunlight for so long. That’s my point by not having them overheat

COmtnLady

Colorado
As you know, reptiles are cold blooded. If you were offering them cold water that they could get out of if they found it uncomfortable, it would be different. Since you are putting them into cold that they can not escape from it is similar to someone throwing ice water on you then not allowing you to get away from it. You are shocking their systems with the cold water. Normal soaking temp is far better than cold. Less differential between ambient temps and the water temps is less drastic to their bodies.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Well we are in a heat wave here so cold water will only stay cold in direct sunlight for so long. That’s my point by not having them overheat
I was looking for a post some measurements were done on this, but can't find it yet. A safe amount of water in the soaking tub is not enough for effective thermoregulation and core body temperature eventually raises. Thermal exchange inside tortoise body is not immediate.

I'm not criticizing you, just pay attention to your torts because they CAN overheat. It's just safer to soak them in shade. Under trees or shade cloth there is still UVB and you can soak them in warmer (room temperature) water to make soaking more comfortable for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They do fine in the sun soaking. They hide in shade all day so allowing them to get sun is good.
They are hiding in the shade for a reason. Its too hot in full sun when temps are in the 90s and UV levels are likely too high if its anywhere near mid day. If they are outside frequently, or if they live outside, you don't need to worry about them getting enough UV.

Last edited:

TaylorTortoise

Abington
As you know, reptiles are cold blooded. If you were offering them cold water that they could get out of if they found it uncomfortable, it would be different. Since you are putting them into cold that they can not escape from it is similar to someone throwing ice water on you then not allowing you to get away from it. You are shocking their systems with the cold water. Normal soaking temp is far better than cold. Less differential between ambient temps and the water temps is less drastic to their bodies.
The water is not that cold to shock their systems

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I was looking for a post some measurements were done on this, but can't find it yet. A safe amount of water in the soaking tub is not enough for effective thermoregulation and core body temperature eventually raises. Thermal exchange inside tortoise body is not immediate.

I'm not criticizing you, just pay attention to your torts because they CAN overheat. It's just safer to soak them in shade. Under trees or shade cloth there is still UVB and you can soak them in warmer (room temperature) water to make soaking more comfortable for them.
I understand your concern for them overheating but I know how to care for my animals. Thanks for the feedback though!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
They are hiding in the shade for a reason. Its too hot in full sun when temps are in the 90s and UV levels are likely too high if its anywhere near mid day. If they are outside frequently, or if they live outside, you don't need to worry about them getting enough UV.
Im not worrying about them getting enough uv. They only need a couple good hours to get enough uv for the day. But thanks for the feedback!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
When I put Ink outside in the kiddie pool, I fill it and let the water warm up before he goes in for a soak. It usually takes about an hour on the cement. I'm sure the small amount of water in Taylor's containers warms up quickly before she puts her tortoises in the water. My opinion.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hmmm. This is fun. Anyway, what's the temperature of the water, was it taken?
I found that in soaking my pythons in their tubs outside in the sun, the water got really hot really fast! I had to keep a close watch and move it to the shade sooner than I had thought possible.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hmmm. This is fun. Anyway, what's the temperature of the water, was it taken?
I found that in soaking my pythons in their tubs outside in the sun, the water got really hot really fast! I had to keep a close watch and move it to the shade sooner than I had thought possible.
Not sure, they only soaked for a good 15-20 minutes and I would spray them with cold water until I put them back in the shade!

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Not sure, they only soaked for a good 15-20 minutes and I would spray them with cold water until I put them back in the shade!
If you soak them in the morning and not in the nonn, perhaps it's not extremely dangerous. Do you have a temperature gun?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I put Ink outside in the kiddie pool, I fill it and let the water warm up before he goes in for a soak. It usually takes about an hour on the cement. I'm sure the small amount of water in Taylor's containers warms up quickly before she puts her tortoises in the water. My opinion.
Not by their posts it's cold when the tort is put in, not warm. Also sprayed with cold water. Does it warm up, most likely but the tort was already put into it cold.