Soak ideas

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Has anyone thought of adding mulberry juice (from blending mulberry leaves) to soak water? Why don't people add minerals/vitamins through soak water? I don't have a mulberry tree and I am planning to get one (but there is that 1 year waiting).... Any thoughts on this? Thanks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe some members do put liquid vitamins or calcium in their soaking water. However, too much is also not good. So it should not be done daily.
Also, carrot baby food is used quite often in a warm water soak for torts that are having different issues.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I knew that but I was thinking of a more "natural" soak... It may be a way makes more "picky" eaters actually eat? Just brainstorming here :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not necessary and I don't see any benefit to it for a healthy tortoise. Also the sugar content from mulberry fruits are not going to be good for most species. I wouldn't feed them the fruit, so soaking them in the diluted fruit juice wouldn't be any different really.

If I were you, I would order a fruitless mulberry. The fruit bearing ones make a huge mess and all you need is the leaves. I speak from experience here...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It is not necessary and I don't see any benefit to it for a healthy tortoise. Also the sugar content from mulberry fruits are not going to be good for most species. I wouldn't feed them the fruit, so soaking them in the diluted fruit juice wouldn't be any different really.

If I were you, I would order a fruitless mulberry. The fruit bearing ones make a huge mess and all you need is the leaves. I speak from experience here...
No, I meant putting leaves in a blender and making mulberry leaf juice :) I'll probably get a fruiting mulberry (I love berries!)...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes use a couple of drops of liquid bird vitamins in the soak water for brand new hatchling tortoises. I don't see the harm in pureeing mulberry leaves to add to the soak. After all, there's hardly any 'clean' water in the wild. All the rivers, streams, puddles, have leaves and detritus of one sort or another in it.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I sometimes use a couple of drops of liquid bird vitamins in the soak water for brand new hatchling tortoises. I don't see the harm in pureeing mulberry leaves to add to the soak. After all, there's hardly any 'clean' water in the wild. All the rivers, streams, puddles, have leaves and detritus of one sort or another in it.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Thanks :) the idea just popped in my head and I had to ask!