Soaking and other questions

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have a question about the best way to soak. Currently I am just switching containers if they poop or when the water cools. Is there another way to keep the water heated or is switching soaking containers throughout the soak the best way to do it? They are being soaked at least 30mins daily.

Is the Tortoise Diet Table a good, reliable source on safe foods? I found the app while I was downloading this and looked through it.

Also, I started growing plants to contribute to their diet. My alfalfa is starting to sprout, I had ordered it after I read Tom's food list. If the Tortoise Table food list is accurate, it is listed as Do Not Feed due to protein. So is it safe to feed in moderation?

Lastly, my one tort (named Pyp) has spent most of the day in the humid hide. He(?) came out to eat and roamed some then went back to it. The humidity in the tank is hovering at 80%, basking spot 98-100, ambient is 80-82 and night temp is 78-80. Is he okay spending so much time in the humid hide or could there be a reasoning for it?

Im at work currently so can't add any pictures besides what I took the day I got them. Was hoping to add pictures so someone could hopefully give me a guess on age. Thanks for any input!

Resized_20180805_182931.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I soak tortoises in large dish pans and change them out when needed. I take the poo water along with my other food waste and add that to my compost tea bucket.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have a whole creepful of tortoises, so it's easiest for me to use plastic dish bins ($0.97 at Walmart) and just dump the dirty water and refill when needed. Some tortoises have me doing that 2-3 times before they are done with their soak.

Try lowering your basking spot to around 93-95 degrees. It currently may be too hot for him to bask comfortably, so he escapes to his hide.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I started soaking Daisy in her enclosure so water stays perfect temp, i scoop poo out right way before it disintegrates using a little disposable cup.

Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Ill also lower the basking temp, he was out roaming around the enclosure today. The enclosure and hide is new so I wasnt sure if he just liked the new place or if it could mean something else. Ill lower the basking temp anyway and see what happens!