Soaking and Pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiluscomb

5 Year Member
My cherry head Khan has pooped once since I brought him home last Sunday, he's been eating fine except that yesterday I was unable to tell if he ate or not, I didn't witness it (I have the other days) nor did there seem to be tracks of lettuce around his tank like usual. I've soaked him twice this week based on info from the store but I"m beginning to realize it should be much more often, I was wondering if I'm to soak him every day how long should the sessions be? Also I have been adding supplements the past few days since thats what the store advised/did but I'm also stopping that immediately since he's only about a month old. I'm slightly worried about him eating and the lack of poop. Thanks for your help!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I only soak for about 15 mins. at a time with the warm water. Do not be totally alarmed if you fail to see any poop. The main reason being is often they eat it themselves or it can seem at times to disappear into the substrate. Which supplement are you using? What types of greens or other food are you feeding?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort is very new and won't be settled and behaving completely normally for some weeks.

It is perfectly OK to soak daily, especially if they're new like yours, or if you suspect they may be sick or they're not eating properly. Hydration is vital for tortoises, and soaking does no harm.

My tips for soaking are:
1. Soak your tort first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly... he's less likely to attempt escape.
2. Soak at roughly the same time each day as it helps to establish a routine which will help your tort to settle in more quickly.
3. Use a bowl or plastic box with sides high enough to stop your tort seeing out or clambering out. A cheap washing up bowl is ideal.
4. Put enough warm (not hot) water in the box to come up over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and you're not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and enjoy!
5. Soak for a good 20 minutes
6. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water. They don't always, but if he does it is more likely to concern you than your tort. Change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't be concerned if your tort eats his poop; it's said to help with gut flora!
7. feed your tort straight after his bath. Again it establishes routine, but also they seem to want to eat after they've soaked and toileted!

hiluscomb

5 Year Member
I'm feeding him redleaf lettuce, zucchini bits, some carrot shavings, mushroom shavings (not all at once haha). I was supplementing with calcium dust and a vitamin supplement but since he's a tiny tort (about 5 weeks old) I've been advised to cease and desist all supplementing from some more knowledgeable folks than the guys at the pet store who originally suggested it. Should I wait to see him wake up to soak him? He seems to be sleeping a lot (which I'm assuming is because he's still a baby?).

Thanks so much for all the help, so glad I found this site! I'm sure Khan will be glad I did too :)

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
My tortoise didn't poop regularly until a week later when i got him.
He enjoys soaks though, i soak him for 20 min every other day, and leave a water bowl inside the enclosure for him

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It's OK to use vitamins and calcium supplements, just think about how small a 'normal' dose would be for the little guy. A TINY pinch of calcium a couple times a week and a TINY pinch of a multivitamin weekly or so can be very helpful to ensure it is getting all the stuff it needs.

And not seeing poop is pretty normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.