Soaking needs

Kaska

I'm getting a redfoot. Should I take him out of his enclosure for a daily tub soak? Or just put bowls in the enclisure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm getting a redfoot. Should I take him out of his enclosure for a daily tub soak? Or just put bowls in the enclisure?

Both.

What age/size? Adults don't need daily soaks. Babies do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's 2 yrs old. I don't know if that's considered adult?

If you soak him every day and he doesn't need it, it won't hurt anything. At that age, 2-4 days a week is probably enough.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Our juvenile Redfoots enjoy a good soak, but our adults just walk right out of the tray. They all drink all day long, though.

Ken

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Kaska and a very warm welcome to the forum!

I'd do both. I for one, soak Oli (my beloved Greek tort) daily, and twice/three times a day in the HOT weather. I live in Jordan (the Middle East), where the climate is that of a desert: very hot and DRY in Summer and freezing cold in Winter.

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure, once you get your tort. And in the meantime, you could read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets on RF torts.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
soaking certainly won't hurt it if you choose to do so. My redfoot loves to drink water all day long.