Soaks and urates

hrcrutch

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Our sulcata is a yr and a half old. We have had tofu (toddler named it lol) for about 2.5 wks. Right after we got tofu (3-4 days) he passed some urates in his soak. Maybe the size of a quarter. Hasnt happened since—until today.. and there was a lot... what causes this? Is there an amount thats too much and should cause concern? Still leaning and want to make sure we are doing everything right.. photos attached IMG_1529039238.585694.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
If you rub it between your fingers it should be smooth like toothpaste. If it is gritty or lumpy it’s a sign of dehydration.
How often do you soak him/her and for how long? Can you show us the set up where he/she is kept and hopefully someone will be able to help.

P.s- I had the frustrating gritty urates problem with my Russian for over 2 weeks even though I was soaking and soaking and my substrate was wet. It did pass eventually but now and then we still have the odd bit here and there.

hrcrutch

Colorado Springs
I will take a picture of his set up this evening. I didnt rub it between my fingers but will next time it happens. We soak every evening for 15-25 min and has wet subtrate on one half of his enclosure. We live in CO she is rather dry here but he has been here almost 3 wks. First time
It happened was shortly after getting him home. Then again yesterday.. i wish i had felt it to see what it felt like :/

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sometimes it can be that whomever owned it before you kept it too dry. It can take a while to pass.
Keep up with the soaks for 30 mins daily and keep your substrate damp all over and your enclosure hopefully is an enclosed vivarium style.
Please post some pics later. Also what are you feeding?