Soaks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone.

Jordan has been effected by a heatwave lately. It was so hot we were cautioned not to get exposed to the sun.
I'd like to ask: in such cases can I give Oli two soaks a day or is one enough even during such weather?

Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One soak a day is more than is needed to keep even a baby tortoise well hydrated. However, two three or ten soaks a day will do no harm, and you can use sprinklers, misters, water dishes, or shallow pools to help cool your tortoise during hot weather. Member @DeanS here used to soak his young sulcatas six hours a day in a kiddie pool in hot weather. Certainly not "necessary", but the health and growth rates of his animals demonstrates that it does no harm, and encourages optimal health.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello Gillian.
Here in south Florida my Redfoot tortoises spend most of the hottest parts of the day sleeping in the shade or in a water pool.
Does Oli like the water?
I don't think there will be any issues

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi everyone.

Jordan has been effected by a heatwave lately. It was so hot we were cautioned not to get exposed to the sun.
I'd like to ask: in such cases can I give Oli two soaks a day or is one enough even during such weather?

Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Where does Oli live? Out on a terrace, in your house, or out in the baking hot back garden? As you know, daily Soaking of torts is good. Sure, twice daily might be good as well. Does your Oli hide away during the hottest part of the day, only venturing out in early morning and early evening?

Soaking is beneficial, especially in hot conditions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Where does Oli live? Out on a terrace, in your house, or out in the baking hot back garden? As you know, daily Soaking of torts is good. Sure, twice daily might be good as well. Does your Oli hide away during the hottest part of the day, only venturing out in early morning and early evening?

Soaking is beneficial, especially in hot conditions.
Hi and many thanks your answer as well as your help.

Oli lives in my flat. He tends "hide" during heat waves. Yep, he tends to become active in the early morning and in the evening.

Many thanks your help, once again, @Maro2Bear . Appreciate it.