Solar meter has arrived. ?????????

Opuntia

Location (City and/or State)
uk
How do I know if solar meter is correct????
Today at 11.30 the sun was out but not very strong the reading I got was 5.5.
I have tested Acadia mvb 80w at a distance of 13in 33cm and have a reading of 6.5 does this sound right? IMG_20200726_1856015_rewind.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like your meter is working perfectly.

What sort of tortoise do you have, and what size? I would not use a mercury vapor bulbs for most tortoises. It will cause pyramiding in any tortoise that is not already fully grown.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The 5.5 is right for an outside reading. I use a 5 year old solarmeter 6.5 and get an outside reading of 5.4 and a brand new solarmeter 6.5R with a reading of 5.8. I have never taken a reading on an Arcadia mvb, but have tested many Powersun 80w mvb and never seen a reading that high at 13 inches. They usually produce a reading around 4. I have read where knowledgable people said that Arcadia produce more uvb, so that is probably a good reading on the bulb.

Opuntia

uk
Thanks for your help. I have two adults and 3 baby Hermanns all houses separately. The mvb 100w and 80w are from last year I started using t5 last August and find them much better. I use t5 for babies only a couple hrs a day if and when needed. I'm loving t5 bulbs and solar meter 6.5r.
t5 at 36cm is reading 5.1. I was about to change all bulbs but now I can save money going forward.
Have read that I will need to calibrate the meter at some point when might that be and how?
The forum is a big help thank you.

Reactions: Tom

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
They have to be sent back to Solarmeter for recalibration. I had the same question about when, so I bought a second unit for comparison. I felt that my older meter was reading a little low and after today's test found it is only .4 below the new unit.

Reactions: Tom

Opuntia

uk
5 years is a long time. I definitely had my bulbs at the wrong height poor torts.? How much have you save on bulbs? Tom how long have you had your meter I've read post back to 2011 from you today?