Solar Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've been thinking of getting a solar meter for Christmas what would you recommend 6.0,6.2 or the 6.5 I am leaning on the 6.2 do you think the 6.5 over kill ? what are you guys using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What's a solar meter? Do you mean a device to measure UV? Sorry, but that's a new one for me.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tom said:
What's a solar meter? Do you mean a device to measure UV? Sorry, but that's a new one for me.

Yes uv meter made by Solar Tech

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have the SolarMeter 6.2 which measures UVB. The Solarmeter 6.5 measures UVIndex. If you talk to the folks at Reptile UV, http://www.reptileuv.com/solartech-solarmeter-uvi-meter-model-6.5.php, they will say that all the new research is pointing to the UVI being the more critical information for both D3 production and safe bulbs. Actually they are now talking about a UVB/UVI ratio, so be sure to ask for both meters at Christmas. I will probably buy the 6.5 to complement my 6.2, but its not a cheap investment.

So, to answer your question, both the 6.2 and 6.5 are good for different measurements, both are needed to determine the ratio. Don't buy the 6.0. Also, All previous bulb comparisons were made with the 6.2 http://www.uvguide.co.uk/zoolamps.htm

Join the group below and read their info. Confusing!
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/

I will let you borrow my 6.2! You pay shipping and give me a deposit.
http://www.solarmeter.com/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
coreyc said:
Tom said:

I googled it after my post. So is the point to measure your indoor bulbs to determine when to replace them?

Will it work outside and give you a comparison of your bulbs to real sunshine during different seasons?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Tom said:
coreyc said:
Tom said:

I googled it after my post. So is the point to measure your indoor bulbs to determine when to replace them?

Will it work outside and give you a comparison of your bulbs to real sunshine during different seasons?

Yes and Yes. Obviously the objective is for the bulbs to replicate the sun in every way. While its a great objective, its not possible.....yet.

Your local news channel can give you the UV Index and posts warnings when its high. A meter like the Solarmeter 6.5 gives you the ability to measure UVI on bulbs. Study the web sites I listed to learn more. Is not simple to grasp, and the science develops constantly. Years, maybe months ago they only used the 6.2 (UVB) meter to compare bulbs. Now the UVB/UVI ratio is considered to be more relevent. Remember, bulbs can be at two extremes, either offer no D3 producing capability, or they can injure your animals eyes.

People always talk how bad the coil bulbs are. They are in many cases, but it can very greatly, depending on what fixture the bulb is in. With the 6.2 and 6.5 you can accurately make your own measurements and conclusions.

I am by no means an expert, but try to make sense of the latest data provided by experts.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Sounds like my christmas wish list as well. I was planning on starting with the 6.2, but really want both. (6.2 and 6.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.