Solar Pond Pump

Location (City and/or State)
Holiday, FL
Hi! I am a Nona to 2 right now smaller Sulcata Tortoises not little fresh babies! these are probably about 4 & 3 yrs old? These are my son's babies. My son had FL Snapper & just found a great home for him. I am taking the prefab pond & putting it in the middle of the enclosure buried so both have access to it( with something in the middle to seperate them) I think 1 male & 1 female. NO BABIES!!! lol. So I live in FL & it is hot here 1/2 the yr. I am trying to find a decent solar run pump to airerate the water & fgure out a way to shallow the pond. I was gong to use slate rocks for it so it is only a couple inches deep for them. My bigger one will walk thru his water dish a terra cotta1 in deep under plant dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions about solar pumps or water aerators or not chemical chemicals to treat the water to keep it clean without having to bail it every day taht is safe for the tortoises? I had a fish pond out back & LOTTSA ALGAE! Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't find the articles.
I'm in south Florida and I was wanting them to provide some oxygen to my pond fish. And I posted about them.
I bought and used several AMAZON solar aerators. They all seem to work for a while and might keep a tiny body of water from going stagnant fast. But with the amount of waste you'll be dealing with, you'll still need to dump, wipe and refill the pond.
I suggest you spend your money on a hose and spray nozzle long enough to reach. A nylon broom can do the bulk of the wiping.
If you get a solar aerator, get a plastic container with a lid, slightly larger than the pump. Drill two holes in it. One for power in. One for airline out. Place the pump inside, then seal the container with silicone. They are not waterproof. No matter what the ad says. It'll last 3x longer this way.
Eventually the Florida sun will make everything crunchy and crumbly. But it'll last long enough to see if it's actually beneficial to you or not.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Get an inexpensive one to try out.
I found that the quality is pretty consistent....and not that great.
Also, shade trees, shade plants, shade cloth and clean water will cut down on the algea
I have no need for one, which is why I can't vouch for their effectiveness. I actually ran electric out to all my ponds. And you were 1000% correct... no matter how much aeration and/or filtering you have in place, frequent cleaning and maintenance is still required once our torts get ahold of 'em. lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no need for one, which is why I can't vouch for their effectiveness. I actually ran electric out to all my ponds. And you were 1000% correct... no matter how much aeration and/or filtering you have in place, frequent cleaning and maintenance is still required once our torts get ahold of 'em. lol
I quoted you. But I intended it for @KDollarNona2Sulcatas
I've also run electrical lines underground for my ponds and tortoises.

Holiday, FL
Sorry new here not sure how to reply to each individual response. Thank you for your responses! they are much appreciated!

TY Tim. I have been looking on Amazon.

Redfoot Wrangler. I lugh cause i know how everything goes quickly bad down here. I have a 120 ft hose with a good pwer attachment. Unfortunately these babise are in an od place in my front yard so planting trees would not be a good thing it would look funny once I would be able to move them in the back yard. I have 2 dogs one that kills anything she can catch So right now they are small enough to grow into their enclosure they are in now. lol