Some plant and encloser questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Ok, I have read quite a bit and think I know the answer but have some questions to make absolutely sure. I would love to adopt something like a Russian, Egyptian, or Green anyway something along those lines. Anyway, would like to think ahead and try to get a setup idea one how I want the home set up in an ecosystem like style.

Soooo..... On plants with these turtles is it smart to plant edibles right in its habitat or will it encourage them to over eat? I also have read both positive as well as negative things about moss. Is it safe to grow moss in the home or its it not suggested if its ok is there a type that's favored? Are there plants to stay away from when putting in their home? The small steppable herbs you get from the green house are they ok to plant with them? Again, thinking of making it a paradise like home all planted up etc however, I want what is best for him/her not just my desire for a nice looking garden. ty!

Vickie

5 Year Member
Sterling Thunder said:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=4

there is an abundance of info on safe plants and what you can and can't let them have all the time.i have been researching and asking about the moss as well and there doesn't seem to be a consensus, some good, some bad. I don't have enough data yet to feel safe using it yet.

Thank you! Yes, I have seen the same one moss thus the question.....wasn't sure if moss still living would be the same way or not? On the plants it was sort of also wondering if it was ok to always have it with them or not? I know like my water turtles you didn't want food with them all the time they would create a HUGE mess besides it made them very lazy.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Generally with the species you are interested in I encourage giving them as much space as you can. A large planted "paradise" like you are looking for is a great option. Generally they dont become overweight unless they are housed indoors without enough exercise opportunities. Testudo species are a wide roaming species naturally that graze as they go. So they dont stay eating at one plant for very long. Plus all of the roaming keeps them active and healthy. I have done this for years. All of my yards are large enclosures themselves. Then I just plant decorative tortoise food. My advice is to plant enough so that if they get excited about eating on one thing the plants root system will still survive. I dont specifically use moss, nor have I really seen anyone interested in eating the natural moss thats in my area. The closest I get to that is a bagged Sphagnum moss that I use to balance the substrate in my indoor enclosures.

Vickie

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
Generally with the species you are interested in I encourage giving them as much space as you can. A large planted "paradise" like you are looking for is a great option. Generally they dont become overweight unless they are housed indoors without enough exercise opportunities. Testudo species are a wide roaming species naturally that graze as they go. So they dont stay eating at one plant for very long. Plus all of the roaming keeps them active and healthy. I have done this for years. All of my yards are large enclosures themselves. Then I just plant decorative tortoise food. My advice is to plant enough so that if they get excited about eating on one thing the plants root system will still survive. I dont specifically use moss, nor have I really seen anyone interested in eating the natural moss thats in my area. The closest I get to that is a bagged Sphagnum moss that I use to balance the substrate in my indoor enclosures.

Thank you so much for the info! That was extremely helpful. Yes, the only reason I was thinking at all about live moss was to put out a hiding spot with live moss in it to also help with humidity.....though unsure if its need.....was more of an idea then anything.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
My interest is in the live moss for a section of enclosure flooring, not as a food source, that said they might eat it so...

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
You are most welcome. Keep in mind that in creating any space of any size you want to offer as many microclimates as possible. They will generally regulate themselves if they have access to areas where they are comfortable. A sunny spot, lots of shady areas to hide from the heat and each other. Dry areas and humid areas are generally the natural result of being outside. I say if you want the moss then have it. I dont know of any moss that is harmful to them. But its not particularly necessary. Especially if you have an adult. Hatchlings require a more controlled environment. I dont reccommend that for a new keeper.

Sterling Thunder I can see that you are interested in Paradalis Paradalis. Make sure you read the "End of Pyramiding" threads by Tom. P.P. has some very specific requirements if you are interested in raising it smooth. They are a great species!

Status
Not open for further replies.