Someone woke up today!!

easyreiter

5 Year Member
It is a nice hot sunny day today in so cal, and although he's suppose to be sleeping, I can't help but be so very excited to see his handsome face an dinosaur feet. A nice soak and some time outside, but should I feed him? Feel free to share other thoughts on what to do with sleep walkers!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No. If he wanders around and eats on his own, its ok, but don't offer him any food.

nancykj

5 Year Member
mine are up and about in the san fernando valley also and eating everything in the yard they can find. mostly grass. my question, probably a dumb one, but then, i am quite a dummy. why is it okay for our DTs to eat on their own, but it is not okay to offer them supplemental food when hibernation comes nigh? i don't mean a whole bunch of greens etc, but maybe a couple of the neighbor's roses? or a hibiscus flower from the front yard?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
One of mine was up, too. He didn't eat any grass or weeds, but he did eat some ashes from the fireplace! I mean really, Gomez. His little sister shifted around a bit, but wasn't up and about.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not offer him any food whatsoever, if the tort finds a munchie on his own then he will partake....I know that the one CDT here that went down into his burrow last year never came up (even the days where it was 80 for a couple of days) for the short day temp increases...

This is a tricky time for the humans...remember, we are but a buffer to them to do what they naturally do...or we should be anyways.

Grocery store greens are not the same as a bit of munching on grass or left over weeds...they are heavy and remain in the gut in a different fashion than weeds....also, keep in mind that while we live in a climate in which there are some warm spells, they don't last long enough for the tort to remain out and active long enough before cold sets back in...just my opinion...

A nice soak and some time outside

I am also confused here....how do you have them set up for brumation? What is their hibernacle like?