something i think we should all watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickPoole

5 Year Member
It's a sad fact that where we see these gentle, adorable creatures, other people see only profit. I really hope that that shipping operation has been shut down, and those surviving tortoises have found good homes, but I have my doubts.

The odd thing is that tortoises are considered an endangered species in the UK, making import illegal. This video suggests that those photos were taken in the UK, so this the state of black market. It's things like this that make me wish I had the room and experience to take in rescued tortoises.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have seen that before and it makes me sick. I just can't imagine.

Karyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Boothywn, Pennsylvania
How sad and cruel! Before I got my tort a few months ago, I had no idea of the issues surrounding importation. I'm very embarrassed that my tort was WC.

Karyn

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
When I saw this video all I thought about was Dale and how lucky he is to have found us or us finding him however God made it happen. I love taking care of him and would never abuse him. He is so lucky and that's the positive way of looking at it. I don't know what he went through before, but hopefully nothing like that. Candy

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I would never condone cruelty to animals and I think the exportation and shipping practices seen in the video are horrendous. However, I've heard that many of these animals if not exported in the pet trade would be used for food.

I'm into redfoots and the following quote appeared in the March/April 1997 issue of Reptile and Amphibian Magazine:
"In every country in its range, the biggest threat to the survival of red-footed tortoises is overhunting by man (Walker, 1989). Red-footed tortoises are hunted extensively in their countries of origin for food. Interestingly enough, tortoises are considered "fish" by the Catholic church and during holy week, red-foots are consumed in huge numbers. Red-foots are collected in large numbers and shipped to many different South American cities to be sold as a delicacy."

People are probally going to hate me for saying this, but at least with the pet trade these beautiful creatures stand a chance of a full life. The alternative to becoming someones dinner is a much worse fate.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
who are we to question other country's eating habits? In India the cow is sacred, here it is a .99 double cheeseburger.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is sad, but it needs to be responsible importing I am sure it can be done outlawing will not fix it IMHO. These importers import a lot hjoping a certain % survive. I tis sad and disgusting and should be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.