Sore back leg & pink colouring under shell

Charlie83

Has anybody seen a pink colouring on the underneath of the shell before? Also the top of our tortoises back leg looks sore, not bleeding just pink with some of the skin coming away. He's only 4 and very active. Climbs constantly & am wondering if he's caught his leg in his little house somehow??? Mayb on the fluorescent lamp?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Without seeing what you're talking about, we can only guess. My guess is that his shell has scraped the skin. Sometimes when they try to climb a wall or such and suddenly slip down, they can't get their leg (or neck) in fast enough and the shell scrapes the skin.

Charlie83

IMG_1216.JPG
This is "Teds" enclosure. We change the bedding regularly (monthly) & change his food & water daily.

Charlie83

IMG_1217.JPG
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Without seeing what you're talking about, we can only guess. My guess is that his shell has scraped the skin. Sometimes when they try to climb a wall or such and suddenly slip down, they can't get their leg (or neck) in fast enough and the shell scrapes the skin.

Thank you. We did wonder if this could be the case. He actually climbed out of his enclosure a couple of days ago via the log. He certainly is a character.
I'll post a photo of his leg too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I can't see what type of tortoise Ted is, but I can see enough to explain that you have been given outdated information regarding his care.

That UVB tube needs to be MUCH higher. It should be 12-15" / 30-35cm above the substrate. It's not safe where it is.

The substrate is too dry and not suitable. You need an earth-type substrate like coco coir or fine grade orchid bark that you can mix with water to make it damp thus creating a humid environment.

The tortoise table is way too small.

Please start by reading this, then I'll direct you to something species specific once we know what Ted is

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Charlie83

I can't see what type of tortoise Ted is, but I can see enough to explain that you have been given outdated information regarding his care.

That UVB tube needs to be MUCH higher. It should be 12-15" / 30-35cm above the substrate. It's not safe where it is.

The substrate is too dry and not suitable. You need an earth-type substrate like coco coir or fine grade orchid bark that you can mix with water to make it damp thus creating a humid environment.

The tortoise table is way too small.

Please start by reading this, then I'll direct you to something species specific once we know what Ted is

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you for your reply & concern.
We will move the tube lighting up.
His enclosure is quite large for his size, plus he roams around the house daily so isn't couped up in there all day.

I've read the link you gave & that's really helpful regarding the bedding we use. Obviously we took the advice of the reptile shop as to the care of Ted but will make the necessary changes.

Going back to my original question though... do you have any idea what a pink tinge to the under shell could be. I tried taking a photo but my camera can't pick up the colour.

Ted's a Hermann tortoise!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for your reply & concern.
We will move the tube lighting up.
His enclosure is quite large for his size, plus he roams around the house daily so isn't couped up in there all day.
Please see this regarding the care of Hermann's tortoises. It's written by a species expert who is working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

It is not good for a tort to roam out of its enclosure. It is away from the heat, UVB and humidity that it needs to be healthy. There is also a risk of it escaping, being stepped on or eating something it shouldn't, including hair and dust bunnies that cause intestinal blockages. You only have to be distracted for a moment and we have instances too often on this forum.

I've read the link you gave & that's really helpful regarding the bedding we use. Obviously we took the advice of the reptile shop as to the care of Ted but will make the necessary changes.

Going back to my original question though... do you have any idea what a pink tinge to the under shell could be. I tried taking a photo but my camera can't pick up the colour.

Ted's a Hermann tortoise!

The light is a distinct possibility, but so is scrabbling in an enclosure that is too dry. Your tort needs a moist earth-type substrate at least 4"/10cm deep.

I suggest you take a look in the Enclosures forum for ideas. An old book case with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner or plastic sheeting will make a much bigger, safer and healthier home for Ted.