South African Leopard Tortoise Enclosure?

Aloysius Taschse

Location (City and/or State)
Mainly Texas
Hello everyone,
I'm looking into getting a single leopard tortoise from Tom. (I guess I just miss spending time with Kiwi ?). He's told me that they need at least a 20x20 feet, and my current design is only 14 x 8 feet with a small angled wall panel to avoid a shrub that we can't uproot. The problem is I don't have many spaces that an enclosure that large you comfortably go, and I want a cover because of coyotes, birds, other animals, and homeless people. (Yes, unfortunately all of those things do live around, despite my overreactive neighbors calling the police over the coyote and a homeless person). I might be able to make it about 200 square if I make use of ALL the space, but that probably won't work either due to multiple obstacles. Over all, the square footage of the current design is about 100 square feet. Does anyone have any ideas and/or solutions for this type of problem? I've asked Tom, but I figured I should ask more people so I can get more input.

Just to let you know, if I can't make it work I won't put the tort in there. I want what's best for the tortoise and I'll try to be open to all your ideas. Thank you for your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have regular Babcocki leopards. They have a very big outdoor enclosure. Approx 10x50 feet each probably larger. They barely use half the size. They usually walk the fence line about half way and then one or two pathways cross ways.
They have smaller for winter. Give as big as you can.
For one leopard the size you have should be fine.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The reason Tom suggests so big is due to the size of his leopards. Its like a clumber Spaniel and a newfoundland- look very similar but are very different. Research how big the SA leopards get and that will lear it up. My Babcocki leopard is probably going to get 40-60 pounds. I know Tom's easily go over 100.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Geez-That's heavy. I already knew the size but those are some heavy torts. I've been able to extend the outdoor enclosure to about 28 square meters, and the tort will only be uncomfortable for 4 or so years. (As it grows).