"Special needs" Russian hatchlings

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wanted to share these guys, and hopefully get some advice from more experienced keepers!

I took these two in as rescues from a local Craigslist ad on the 20th. Some back story can be found here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-71428.html

To sum it up, they are two young Russians... Both absolutely tiny.
P5270100_zps17e6a416.jpg

One is missing one of his back legs, supposedly from a bird attack. He's a hatchling--estimated to have hatched in November of 2012.
P5270088_zpsb626a9fe.jpg

P5270086_zps8a8dba0e.jpg

P5270090_zps57ef4040.jpg

The second one is even smaller than the "tripod," and, according to the previous owner, is a yearling, having hatched around August of 2011.
P5270093_zps919ea550.jpg

P5270095_zpsb2e202ae.jpg

P5270098_zpsd061d39e.jpg

They came to me with soft plastrons, and somewhat lethargic, but still alert and eating. The tripod seemed very puffy.

I've been taking them outside as much as possible and soaking them daily in squash babyfood/water/liquid calcium mixture. They haven't eaten much of anything until the last day or two (finally decided spring mix is acceptable), but their plastrons seem a little more solid (could just be my wishful thinking, though) and the tripod seems less puffy. They're both fairly active, thermoregulating well. The tripod's eyes seem to bother him (he rubs at them frequently), but I don't really know why. His eyes look good... They were under a Reptisun CFL before, but it was one of the newer style bulbs that are supposed to be okay (they aren't under it anymore, though--I let the previous owner keep it, no use for it here).

Here is their enclosure, as it is right now. One little dish for water, one for calcium, one for food. It's small enough that I just take the whole thing outside during the day (usually take them out in the early afternoon when I come home from lunch, and leave them out til dusk). Inside, they have a small heat lamp. I keep a wider gauge tank screen secured to the top to keep would-be predators out.
P5270076_zps652db5ed.jpg

P5270101_zpsd64e295a.jpg

P5270078_zpsb5a738bc.jpg

If anyone has advice on what else I can or should be doing for these guys, I'm all ears! Thanks!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
oh wow im sorry to hear this happened, but happy to hear you are a good soul doing what is right, if you lived close to me I would gladly take them from you, as for advice? I t sounds like you're experienced enough to know what you are doing, so keep it up! I would say just make sure warmth/humidity/sunlight are all a big must in this situation, so make sure they get plenty!

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
Taylor, you have a big heart! I wish you the best with Tripod and the yearling.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you for the well-wishes! I'm loving having tiny babies in the house. This is my first time with hatchling Russians. Sooo cute! I'm hopeful that, with diligent care, they'll pull through. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I can't imagine what else you can do for them now, other than time.
Keep tempting them with a variety like Rose of Sharon, etc.
That is an amazing set up.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Great you rescued these!
Regarding 3 legged tortoises-my female pancake has only 3 legs and she is great-can do everything fine including digging nests and laying eggs-so don't worry about the stump-unless it is still needing to heal up?
They are tough creatures!
Best of luck

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Might want to order some TNT to sprinkle on their food. I've been using it for about 2 years with good results. You can order it from Carolina Pet Supply. The powder is from dried and ground up weeds and is specifically formulated for Russians.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Awww bless their hearts! They are precious. You are a wonderful person with a huge heart!!
Sounds like you are doing everything you can for them. Good luck to you and your babies!! :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Least they are in good hands now, they will strengthen up and live a great life. Also you will find the one with three legs will keep up with the others, and it won't need so much special needs. Good luck with them keep us updated! More pictures! Lol

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks, everyone!

Louise, I'm very happy to hear your 3 legged tort gets around so well! This little tripod has shown no problems getting around just as well as the yearling, and in fact is proving to be the more active, robust of the two. His stump is entirely healed--if nothing else, that's one thing the previous owner seems to have done right!

Will, I will look into the TNT for sure. It's something I've heard of but never used--I've been using Repashy's SuperVeggie supplement for my Leopard and other herbivores/omnivores for the last couple years and been quite happy.

I will definitely post updates as these guys progress! :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm afraid this update isn't a happy one. The tiny yearling passed away overnight. :(

I'm not sure what happened--whether it was inevitable, my fault, or a combination. S/he was acting a little funny (read: more lethargic/unresponsive than usual) when I got home yesterday evening, including having trouble holding his head up during their baby food soak.

I will note that yesterday was unusual as a whole--I wasn't able to come home for lunch to get them their afternoon soak & meal, had to drive straight from work to the airport... So it was 6 pm instead of 2 pm by the time I got home to check on them. It was also a bit warmer yesterday than it had been this week, and they were outside from 9:30 AM til approx 7 PM. I keep their table in a dappled shade area at the corner of the leopard's pen, but it still gets hit by some direct sunlight in the afternoon... But the tripod is still active and acting normal, so, if it was a case of overheating, for some reason it only affected the yearling.

All that aside, I still hadn't actually witnessed the yearling eating more than maybe one or two nibbles here and there--so maybe his chronic bad health just finally caught up with him?

I have to get to work, just needed to talk out what happened with people who get it.

The good news is, the tripod still seems to be doing alright. He was a bit slow and out of it this morning, but I think that's because normally they got an hour or two under a heat lamp before going outside (this morning, they didn't--had to do an emergency separation of a couple skinks last night, and theirs was the only dome that fits the back-up enclosure).

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
You could only do what you can. Honestly the little guy went through a lot and it was just its time to go. Not your fault at all, the road to recovery is a lint one with little guys like this. Tripod sounds like he's doing good. Keep us updated on him

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about the little one... But it must have been his fate so not your fault. You've been doing great job with a great heart, which isn't something people can easily do. So please don't blame yourself...
I hope the little one rests in peace and Tripod is fine and grow strong.
Best wishes

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm so sorry the baby passed away!
You sounds likea great tortoise owner and a very caring persom!
If I had a sick baby, I would do exactly what you did.
Anys tortoise is lucky to have you as an owner.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm so sorry!

Whatever the reason, it most certainly was NOT your fault!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you, everyone, for the condolences. I truly appreciate it. Rescue isn't easy, as I've been learning, but being able to help at least some of them is worth it.

I spent yesterday hyper paranoid (especially when I didn't get my usual lunch break--thankfully my dad's in town so he was under strict orders to move tripod if it got particularly hot!), but Tripod is still doing well. I was very pleased to come back to an empty food dish last night! Since he's finally showing a real interest in food, today I'll try mazuri again. I'd love to get him eating that, since it's easy to mix liquid calcium into it.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hey! So I've neglected to update... The tripod is doing GREAT. His appetite is wonderful, and his shell is no longer soft (well, not any softer than any normal hatchling's shell).

He still hasn't really started to grow. He weighs 24 grams: about 4 grams more than when I got him. Even still, I'm super happy with his progress. He's been inside for the last week or two, but I'm hopefully getting his new, much larger outdoor pen built and installed this week.

And on a related note: The girl I rescued these two from contacted me yesterday about a very sickly leopard hatchling given to her by the same breeder recently. (Same breeder under whose care Tripid lost his leg and both RTs became severely calcium deficient. Sounds to me like this person shouldn't be breeding!!!) I am on my way to pick him up now. More on that later--but cross your fingers! Hopefully he's not too far gone!

Oh.. And a couple quickie cell pics from the little guy's outing to the yard today!

Sent from my SGH-T599 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1376775146458.jpg
    1376775146458.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 1376775249699.jpg
    1376775249699.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 135

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Make a new thread about your new rescue leopard when you get a chance. I'd love to follow along on that one :)

Glad to see tripod doing well ;)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I will! Actually just picked him up (my dad insisted on driving, convenient for me)... OMG, softest shell I have ever encountered!!! :( Poor little baby... I'll post up a new thread later, after I get him home and soaked.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using TortForum mobile app