Split beak

mr jingles

hi guys.. my little torts beak has split at both sides.. he has cuttlefish to chew on.. does it just need trimmed? I’ll let you experts judge from the picture.. if you get a minute thanks.

61D7044B-66B0-4BCE-9E03-8E43AE53B2AE.jpeg

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
That definitely needs some trimming. Is he able to eat? A vet would be able to trim it, or I know @Yvonne G has given some pointers as to how to do it at home.

What type of surface do you feed him on?

mr jingles

He eats off a slate.. I have a dremmel but would rather a good vet do it first.. even if I watch the first time. What are the best recommended tortoise vets?.. I’m in Scotland.. half an hour from Carlisle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the reason it split is because it is overgrown. Sorry, but I don't know about tortoise vets in Scotland.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Call your local vet offices, reptile or exotic vet offices would be the better ones too start with if you have any near you and ask if they have any experience with tortoises and trimming their beaks. If none of them do, try an avian vet and ask if they would know how too trim a tortoises beak. If you strike out on all of them then pick the one that would be willing too do it.