[split] To hibernate or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesOH

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I am a newbie and the owner of a 14-year-old Horsfield Tortoise that I inherited. He was not in particularly great health when I got him (long periods with no food, water or light and only has one eye due to an infection when he was very young) but with his new outdoor run has eaten well all summer and been active. A vet confirmed he's doing well and he has gained weight. Now he's quiet and hardly eating at all and it's no longer warm enough to put him out (I live in Berlin). I gather the general advice is to not hibernate him (he's never hibernated before) but how can I keep him well fed throughout the winter as our garden is no longer producing copious amounts of lovely edible plants? Also, can anybody advise me on where to buy a lamp that he can bask under? He loved sitting in patches of sun but I can no longer provide this. He has a temperature-controlled tortoise table and a separate UVA/UVB light but no overhead heat source. I'd really appreciate any advice offered. Many thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, JulesOH!

You don't need to allow your steppe tortoise to brumate. Throughout the winter he can eat many of the same veggies that you eat. Any dark, leafy greens that you can buy at the market will do just fine. He may even like a bit of zucchini or other squash.

You can buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) online. As long as he has a UVB source, you can just use a regular incandescent bulb for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.