Spook's Thread Eastern Boxie

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Spook has arrived! She (is being presumed a girl for now because of how her nails/tail look) arrived early today, at nine thirty instead of ten thirty.
She was cold when I got her, so I put her in a warm soak and put her up. I plan on weighing and feeding her later, after she settles some. She has pill bugs if she gets hungry.

I have worms to feed her at the moment, and I plan on getting pin head crickets and meal worms to feed her. Anything else I should pick up?

she\'s arrived.jpeg

Cheakin me out 2013.jpeg

Spook arrival Aug 22 2013.jpeg

Spook Soaking 2013.jpeg

Spook home 2013.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thank you everyone. With Randy's suggestion I will be getting a half log hide for Spook, they said she loved to hide under a log hide. Thank you guys, she really is adorable and so tiny! More pictures later when I weigh her.

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
Very very cute!!

1.1 ball pythons 0.0.1 RES
0.0.1 eastern box 2.1 cats
0.1 dog

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm having trouble getting spook to eat. I will soak her in warm water and offer her a worm, he looks at it but doesn't eat.. what do I do? I plan on getting pinhead crickets tomorrow morning (mom won't take me tonight) I keep offering worms throughout the day. She just isn't eating and I'm worried for her. I do have pill bugs in her cage but I want to see her eating! I will weight her today and hopefully she eats tonight or tomorrow.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I feed Chuy pill bugs ontop of smashed up cantaloupe and blackberries. The breeder recommended this. Apparently the cantaloupe and bbs have a strong scent. He eats small red wigglers too but I can tell he likes the Rollie pollies better.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
txturtle13 said:
I feed Chuy pill bugs ontop of smashed up cantaloupe and blackberries. The breeder recommended this. Apparently the cantaloupe and bbs have a strong scent. He eats small red wigglers too but I can tell he likes the Rollie pollies better.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

My mom just bought a cantaloupe! I'll see if she will cut it tomorrow :3 Thank you! Do you feed him in or outside his enclosure? I have the pill bugs running loose and like to offer the worms when I want to watch her eat.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Leave some food and a nice water dish in her enclosure,and walk away...check later on her and see if she ate somerhing. Some boxies dont like to eat in front if you especially when everything is new to them . Also give her some hiding spots in there,they love to hide and dig under the dirt

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

One more thing,u have to cut yp the food very very small,sometimes even the worms

mikeh

5 Year Member
When trying the cantaloupe or other fruits, give her the ripest parts.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I feed Chuy in a tupperware outside of his enclosure. There are two worms and a few pill bugs living in the enclosure, to clean the vivarium and in case he gets hungry in between feedings. I smash the cantaloupe up into a mash and put the pill bugs ontop. He mostly just makes a mess of it all, but it's there if he wants it! Dora (our adult) loved the piece of cantaloupe we gave her, but this is a treat, not a regular thing.

I let him eat for 30-45 min, then soak for 5-7 min. The water is usually cold by then and he's ready to get back to lounging.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Let him eat in his environment.
also if you can take him outside to get some sun light so that he can walk around in the grass that would be nice as well

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
This morning Spook ate two worms, not huge on steroids worms but a few I dug up from my yard (free of pesticides, fertilizer etc) that I had been keeping for a few days. I soaked her, then put her in a tub in her enclosure she nor the worms could get out of. I left her in there for thirty min while I went to take care of four Boxers, and when I got back they were gone. I will be grabbing some crickets today, and I think tonight I will offer cantaloupe and two calcium covered crickets.

I am working on making her a half log to hide under as we speak. She likes to dig under the leaves I have in her home, but a nice half log would be a good idea. I also stuck some cleaned bark in there for her to hide under nearer to the basking light so she doesn't choose between heat or hide.

I'm relieved I got the tiny thing eating XD
20130827_122839.jpeg

Dirty tyke

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
very good just remember everything takes time and she's probably just scared eating in front of you, but the time will come don't worry.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
very good just remember everything takes time and she's probably just scared eating in front of you, but the time will come don't worry.

Thank you. I know how my girl Vodka was when I first got her in April, now god forbid my hand goes in there without food! I just wanted to know she ate without the possibility of the food crawling away.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Well guys good news! I feed Spook two worms every day around eleven twenty after soaking her. I feed her in a tub so I can leave her in her enclosure and she doesn't have to loose the worms. Well today I dropped the worm in and she went right for it! I hadn't even found the second one yet XD I got a few pictures of her chowing down. I'm happy I get to know she is eating, and that she is eating in front of me more.

Next step, offering crickets loose in her home. Then veggies!

Om nom.jpeg

worm dinner.jpeg

Tearin up a worm.jpeg