Sprouting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Taugeh.jpg

Hi,

May I know if this plant is good for tortoise? I think the name in English is Sprouting?

Thank you in advance!

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
It's called bean sprouts and I don't know what there like for tortoises

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They are the sprouts of Mung beans. The leaves of most beans can be fed in moderation, but not the actual beans. I am not sure about the sprouts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves, sprouts contain more protein than the actual plant. I have fed all kinds of sprouts (mung, alfalfa, etc) to my tortoises, however, not a whole lot or frequently.

cally

5 Year Member
I kno that you guys are talking about bean sprouts which i recognize - i wishi had them here in ohio growing like that :( however it sparked my attention- if its ok to eat bean sprouts- what about the actual bean plant??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Yes Yvonne you are correct !

Cally- Russian Tort <3

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The bean plant.... the leaves can be fed occasionally.

We grow runner beans in our garden. When we go on vacation in the summer, we pull out the canes supporting them and let them trail on the ground. They provide food to supplement the weeds for Joe while we are away as he lives free range in our garden :)

cally

5 Year Member
Awesome :) thats good for joe! We have beans growing now on trellises, they havent bloomed yet and kale was in the garden and i let him roam free- he ate a few bean plants n loved running thru them :) also seemed interested in the squash and cucumber teepees lol

Cally- Russian Tort <3

I wish the garden was enclosed for kale :) but its by the woods and next to my three huskys big fence so i would never trust him alone in the garden - lucky joe :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves, sprouts contain more protein than the actual plant. I have fed all kinds of sprouts (mung, alfalfa, etc) to my tortoises, however, not a whole lot or frequently.

Thank you everyone especially JoesMom for the respond and answers :)

Yes Yvonne G, upon reading it also stated that it contained high protein, so cannot be given as routine for most of the tortoise.

My little Egyptian really like it though. I love the crunchy sound when he bite that sprout stalk :D

Edit : typo

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As with all foods, variety is the key. Let him have a few when you have them inba salad or stir fry and give him something else for the rest of his meals

Hybrid

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
As with all foods, variety is the key. Let him have a few when you have them inba salad or stir fry and give him something else for the rest of his meals

He love Mazuri the most, and pretty picky eater previously.

So I cut down variety of greens, shake the mazuri till it become dust and mix the dust with the greens.

He smell it at first but eventually he eat all the greens! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.