Sri Lanka star tortoise picking at front legs

hellbnt

Location (City and/or State)
Santee
Hi!
I'm new to tortoise care and was wondering why he's picking at the scales on his front legs.
Thanks in advance

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello.

Can you give more details. What do you mean he’s picking at his front legs? What is he doing? Is he biting at his front legs?

hellbnt

Santee
Hello.

Can you give more details. What do you mean he’s picking at his front legs? What is he doing? Is he biting at his front legs?
Yes. Hes picking at the scales on his front legs. (Biting himself) Otherwise, he's strong, energetic, eating well.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Are the scales actually coming off? Please share pictures of the tortoise and enclosure.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Scales look normal to me. Maybe he’s got some leftover mushed mazuri in between his scales and smells it?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there! We would like to try to help in every way we can. Please post more pictures of the tortoise and entire enclosure, and provide details of how he is being kept: diet, lights, temperatures, humidity level, substrate, to give us a better basis for our experts to have ideas and solutions! Thank you.

hellbnt

Santee
Scales look normal to me. Maybe he’s got some leftover mushed mazuri in between his scales and smells it?
Perhaps. 😆 ummm like i said earlier.. I'm new to tortoise care. I appreciate your quick response. Thank you very much

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Perhaps. 😆 ummm like i said earlier.. I'm new to tortoise care. I appreciate your quick response. Thank you very much
How long have you had this tortoise? The overall appearance of him looks like that of a healthy tortoise.

hellbnt

Santee
I've had him about 3 months. My mom died and left him to me, and i absolutely love him. He's got so much personality and vigor. I'm not sure how old he is..... do you know how to tell thier age?
How long have you had this tortoise? The overall appearance of him looks like that of a healthy

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've had him about 3 months. My mom died and left him to me, and i absolutely love him. He's got so much personality and vigor. I'm not sure how old he is..... do you know how to tell thier age?
No real way to know exact age. Looks like he’s about full grown. My guess would be between 5-10 years old.

This is a good amount of information and covers most if not all you need to keep him nice and healthy. I recommend you read it and if you have any questions afterwards to ask for clarification if needed.

hellbnt

Santee
No real way to know exact age. Looks like he’s about full grown. My guess would be between 5-10 years old.

This is a good amount of information and covers most if not all you need to keep him nice and healthy. I recommend you read it and if you have any questions afterwards to ask for clarification if needed.
Thank you so much for all your info... i truly appreciate it