Tortoise dragging front legs

rmtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
england
Hi, i’ve had my tortoise for 2 years and over the past two weeks he’s begun dragging his front legs and not using them when he walks, he used to walk fast and strong but now he struggles to walk at all, his back legs are strong but his front legs are almost as if he’s laying on them and pulling himself, I’ve been giving him extra calcium in his diet to try to help but he’s still not using them, ( i’m unsure how to attach videos ) please could someone help, thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Calcium doesn't make strong bones and shell unless it's coupled with UVB either from the sun or a GOOD light (UVB light)

This tortoise needs to see a good reptile vet

rmtortoise

england
Calcium doesn't make strong bones and shell unless it's coupled with UVB either from the sun or a GOOD light (UVB light)

This tortoise needs to see a good reptile vet

Thank you so much for letting me know, we have just checked and our bulb is UVA not UVB so we will change the bulb asap! do you know if 75w or 100w would be best? we are getting him taken to the vets in coming week :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The wattage depends upon the heat it provides down at tortoise level. Only a thermometer can tell you that.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He needs to see a good reptile/tortoise vet ASAP.