Front legs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

5 Year Member
Need advice please:) when i take zeke out and put him down on the ground his front legs go under where he lays on them and doesnt support himself up like he use to ...is it a sign he is weak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
(Zeke is a sulcata.)

Hi Beth:

Yes, it certainly might mean that his bones are not as strong as they should be. Does he ever take them out and actually use them to walk? Do you supplement with calcium? Do you use a UVB light (and what kind?)?

Zeke

5 Year Member
Yes he is a sulcata...he hasnt had the calcium in two weeks cuz he hasnt been eating and he does walk every once in awhile but for the most part if i put him somewhere in his cage he is usually in the same place in the a.m.....it seems like he is just getting worse and i feel horrible for him. Do u think he is pain??

I forgot to say he does have a heat lamp and uvb and i always check the temp to make sure its between 95 and 100 during the day

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Zeke

Please get him to a vet for a check-up. This is very important. You say he hasn't been eating, so daily soaking is Vital for your tortoises health.

Soak for 20 minutes in warm water. They cannot survive without water.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If he is indeed suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease, then yes, it would be painful.

Sounds to me like it is time for a check up, especially if he is not eating or moving on his own.

Zeke

5 Year Member
He was just at the vet and he was dehydrated ...we have been giving him water daily which he doesnt go anywhere near...soaking him...and feed him with a syringe ...this just sucks...he seems to be getting worse and suffering. I guess ill just call the vet again and see what he suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.