Tortoise dragging legs

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
Somebody i know, which i will keep anonymous (no, its not me) has a baby golden greek tortoise. The tortoise has very skinny back legs and it does not use its back legs. Is this normal? i'm just concerned about the tortoise because i read other threads that said their tortoise is dragging their back legs, and in the replies everybody said the tortoise needed to go to the vet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, that tortoise needs a vet. It could be any number of things causing this .

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Definitely go to the vet. I know that if tortoises are far gone with metabolic bone disease, they lose the use of their back legs. Or maybe a bladder stone? Hard to know what it really is without more information, it could be many things like Mike said above.

TacoTortoise

Capital of California
Definitely go to the vet. I know that if tortoises are far gone with metabolic bone disease, they lose the use of their back legs. Or maybe a bladder stone? Hard to know what it really is without more information, it could be many things like Mike said above.
I cant really explain more but i will try to get a picture next time i see it. I will also tell them to go to the vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had adopted a leopard tort and she was way under size compared to the male leopard I already had since a hatchling and they were the same age. She couldn't lift herself to walk properly. She kinda skidded. She was 3 years and still in a small aquarium. I gave her a much bigger enclosure where she had room to walk a lot and I did hydro therapy on her. In no time she was walking around like a champ. That was last year. This year she can now get herself up and down the ramp of the tort shed.
Everything else about her seemed fine except a beak that needed a little trim and she too was a little under weight, she hasn't caught upto the size of my male yet, but she sure did put on some size. About double. If the tort acts fine otherwise and lifts the head, eats, drinks, is being cared for properly, except maybe enclosure size, I would do what I'd did first. I'm not one to jump into vet care when everything else is fine.