Star Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Sorry for the new thread, I couldn't figure out how to post pictures on the other thread I started.
Here is another hide box using the same concept as the other one. If anyone would like more detailed information I can give it out, it's straight forward enough though.

My female, approx. 7 inches.
starpen3.JPG

starpen4.JPG

I ran out of dirt so I covered it with 5 inches of peat moss, the same type Richard Fife suggested in his Leopard Tortoise book.
starpen5.JPG

My smaller male trying it out
starpen6.JPG

Both hide boxes. The mounds should give them some good exercise, and perhaps some good egg laying spots.
starpen7.JPG

Let me know what you think. The only potential problems I see are the soil on top washing away and the turtles climbing on top and falling off. I threw down a bunch of grazing tortoise seed mix on top, hopefully they will take root quickly enough and keep the soil on top. From my experience tortoises have really good depth perception and don't fall off high places, though its only 8 inches high. I'll keep an eye on them, I have some extra cypress mulch I might build up around the openings so if they fall they would roll of those mounds and be able to right themselves easily if they flip over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.