Star Growth Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hi!

So I got my star from our local reptile store just over a week ago, and they estimated he is about 4 months. After reading a bit on my own I'm not so sure - he's about 7 cm (a bit under 3 inches) so I think he might be older.

I don't have a scale to weigh him yet, I plan on picking one up soon. Anyone have any links to threads about their Star's growth rates? Or a guess for his age?

A lot of the care information jumps from hatchlings to adults, so I'm not sure how to treat him!

Here are some pictures:

download 3.jpgdownload (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Hi. You have a gorgeous star there!

My hatchlings are about 7 months old now and they are 8-9cms and 85-102g in weight. Going by the pattern your star is probably 4-5 months old.

I will say that you need to soak him/ her regularly and make sure that you have the right temps and humidity in a closed chamber set-up (preferably).

I have some details of my stars growth rates on some of my other threads. Claudia (CLMoss) also has lots of photos and measurements of her torts that you might find useful.

All the best!!

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Wow, I have one that I bought from someone here that is supposed to be over a year old and is barely two inches

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Thank you Ansh and Kanalomele! I wish I knew exactly when he was hatched, that's the problem with reptile stores I guess, if I ever buy another one I will find a breeder!

I have been soaking him daily and keeping his enclosure pretty hot and humid - I have a lid that I put on it at night to keep the heat and moisture in. I measured him again yesterday and he is about 2 5/8 inches. Do you folks handle your star babies much? I put him from his tank to his soaking tub and measure him, but I've been trying not to freak him out too much. I would like to get him used to me though! He will eat out of my hand if I put him on my hand in his enclosure :D

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness! They're so tiny! I thought tortoises had to be four inches to ship? Is that somehow not accurate or am I measuring it wrong or what?

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Frog Tropics said:
Oh my goodness! They're so tiny! I thought tortoises had to be four inches to ship? Is that somehow not accurate or am I measuring it wrong or what?

Mine were sent via a special courier service when they were about 2 1/2 months old and weighed 39/44g. They arrived in perfect health. I'm in the UK though.

Status
Not open for further replies.