Stars and bonsai!

Ansh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, UK
Dear all,

This is my first post in a while from 'sunny' England!

Just wanted to share pictures of Tootsie and Charlie our Indian Stars. Both are about 31/2 years old and absolute cuties.

When we got them in October 2012, I started a Delonix Regia ('flame of the forest') bonsai forest from seed. I wanted the trees and the tortoises to grow together. Bonsai take a lifetime to grow and I figured it would be good to start a project that would evolve as the tortoises grew. Below is a picture of the tortoises and the bonsai...! The bonsai forest looks nothing like a BONSAI, but I'm hoping that in about 10-15 years it will!

Thanks for watching!

Ansh

Attachments

• Tootsie and Charlie 1.jpg
    Tootsie and Charlie 1.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 87

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
I have the same thought that my tortoises should grow in natural surrounding. I'm really impressed with your idea to combine bonsai and tortoise living area. I guess I'm going to try the same now. Thank you for sharing.

In the pic, is that a Gulmohar tree ?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
One more question if I may ask: How did you get your tortoises ? Locally there in England ?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
I'm glad you've got a pair. Initially, I read a lot that tortoises are reclusive. But at least my torts like the company. And from the pics, it looks like so do yours.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
I got my tortoises from a local breeder Marcus Langford here in the UK.

Yes that is a Gulmohar bonsai forest although my tortoises don't exact live with it. The pot sits on top of their indoor vivarium! My little torts can be very destructive and so unlikely that a bonsai would survive in the same habitat.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Operculicarya decaryi is another winner as far as a bonsai candidate. Mine does go deciduous in winter but sends out new leaves this time of year.

Like tortoises, I think plants are cool to watch grow over the years. I have a huge saddle-leafed philodendron which has been in the family for over 40 years. Someday maybe my children or grandchildren will be able to say the same of my stars.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Dan. Agree. My daughters love the tortoises and I get them to feed the tortoises and remind me to change UV tube etc. Hoping one of them will look after them when I'm gone! (They are only 12 and 7) so hopefully a long while away!

They also help me re-pot my bonsais in winter and have already decided which ones they'll take with them when they grow up and leave!! I have a feeling all will be forgotten once they hit the teens....

Reactions: Dan