Stars & Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Ok, as you guys know I adopted this Star whom I named Sheldon.

He is the most un-tortoise like tortoise I've ever seen. (He likes to follow people and animals around, chase after wind-up or RC toys, smell visitor socks) and what is worrying recently is that he has developed a taste for bread.

Now I don't think it's healthy for him because most breads are made from high protein flour. I'm just wondering if it's ok to give him a little occassionaly as small treats.

It all started one day while I was watching TV eating a sandwich for dinner and he decided to come seeking attention. I used a bit of cut out bread skin to tickle his nose and the next thing I know he ate it up and he seems to like it.

He comes to me these days if I am eating a sandwich and I swear he begs (he will stand on his hind legs to try reach up to the sandwich) and yes he gets very excited if you dangle a small piece in front of him and he tries his best to eat it asap.

Anyway I have NEVER seen or heard of a Star wanting to eat bread before -_-" (my other 2 won't even sniff at bread). I'm bringing him for his check-up at the vet tomorrow to ask if it will be a problem but just want to know your thoughts on this.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I personally wouldn't. Bread has a lot of sugars and starches in it. I'd be afraid of it messing with the gut flora.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Please don't feed people food to your tortoise. They are not designed to digest complex food items. Have you read what they put in bread lately? Now tell me all the ingredients in Romaine lettuce. Or in Radicchio, or in Frisee.

Why would this be considered a treat for him? I think you should stick to normal fare for torts, and eat your own lunches, away from his prying eyes. :)

Malaefic

5 Year Member
The vet said that occassional bread treats are alright in small amounts as the bread contains lots of calcium
Anyway, he's in the pink of health and his leg condition has actually improved.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i agree with meg.. the crap they put in bread now is horrible. defently stick to a staple diet for your star like dandilions, spring mix, weeds outside.. etc.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Point of clarification
He has a normal tort diet coupled with Mazuri. The bread is not part of his regular diet.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would also suggest that you stay away from feeding you star bread. My main concern would be the possibility of him developing a yeast infection. These are no fun to treat in tortoises, so better to avoid the possibility from the get go. Best wishes Douglas

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Please don't feed your tort bread, or fruit, or other bad types of foods either. There are healthy treats to give them like cactus pads, squash (such as butternut), pumpkin, Mazuri Tortoise Diet, or Grassland Tortoise Food. I personally would run away fast if a vet ever told me bread in any amount was ok to feed! I don't believe in giving torts any type of food that isn't healthy for them. Glad to hear you are getting him a vet checkup. Remember to bring his fecal test for them to test for parasites. You can put it in a baggie in the fridge.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally any vet who told me it was ok to give bread as a treat, I would run fast away from.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Im pretty sure Stars dont find bread in their natural habitat...
& if you rescued him, i think you should give him what he deserves.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Malaefic said:
Ok, as you guys know I adopted this Star whom I named Sheldon.

He is the most un-tortoise like tortoise I've ever seen. (He likes to follow people and animals around, chase after wind-up or RC toys, smell visitor socks) and what is worrying recently is that he has developed a taste for bread.

Now I don't think it's healthy for him because most breads are made from high protein flour. I'm just wondering if it's ok to give him a little occassionaly as small treats.

It all started one day while I was watching TV eating a sandwich for dinner and he decided to come seeking attention. I used a bit of cut out bread skin to tickle his nose and the next thing I know he ate it up and he seems to like it.

He comes to me these days if I am eating a sandwich and I swear he begs (he will stand on his hind legs to try reach up to the sandwich) and yes he gets very excited if you dangle a small piece in front of him and he tries his best to eat it asap.

Anyway I have NEVER seen or heard of a Star wanting to eat bread before -_-" (my other 2 won't even sniff at bread). I'm bringing him for his check-up at the vet tomorrow to ask if it will be a problem but just want to know your thoughts on this.

Your NUTS

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Portugal
Ok, just my point of view.

Don't even discuss bread for tortoises.

Bread = NEVER.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
I HAD A BOX TURTLE WHO LIKED BREAD ALSO,I WAS A KID,I PROLLY FED HIM ALOTTA THINGS I THAT I WOULDNT FEED A TURTLE NOW THAT IM AN EXPERIENCED SUMWAT TORTOISE OWNER

Status
Not open for further replies.