Starting over with a Russian

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I am not exactly new but....

My story- I rescued a 10 yr old 10 lb Sulcata in October named Harley. The many many years of neglect must of caught up to Harley & I lost him late Sat night (during my birthday party of all days).... It is devastating to me. I grew rather found of him. We spent the last month in vet appts every week with new symptoms. The worst being a Prolapse last week. $3000. in vet bills, I really did try.... Sat he was fine until the evening & he started drooling & gasping. He was being treated for a resp infection & had not shown these symptoms in a week or so. Then he started passing out & going completely limp, not breathing for a while. I thought he had passed on many times. I rushed him to the animal clinic that handles Torts, which was the worst hr long car ride ever. He was really struggling. The vet said his pulse was really weak & in the end did not look good for him. I opted to have him put to sleep. Poor Harley had enough pain. The vet said he would guess that the MBD concaved shell was pressing on his spinal cord & it was causing organ failure & paralysis. Last week I scheduled a CT scan that was suppose to be done this week....

All in all a really bad weekend. Until Sunday. My husband wanted to go to Petco to pick up cat food & I walk by a tank full of Russians....

Meet Martin- ( I am calling him a he at least...)I felt bad for when I saw him in a small tank with three others, dry pellet food, an impossible water dish, & hardily any heat. No humidity. He was sleeping then he looked back at me & winked. I smiled. & He came home with me. I feel as is I was meant to have him. To Heal & have a chance of doing it right.

I have him in the Tort table I had received with Harley before his big one we built. I did not want to put him in the one Harley was just in because of the infection....The old tank was in the Garage & has been frozen a few times over & cleaned well. It is 4.5 X 3 to start. As he grows we will build him a bigger one. He has a hummid hide, water, rocks for basking & climbing, a che, and a solar raptor. I also have a humidifier in there on a timer. He ran around pretty good last night exploring his tank, climbing, then spent the rest of the night & today hiding. He gets his first soak tonight & still has not eaten, but it has only been one day so I am not going to worry yet. He did pass some pretty white (looked like bird poop) matter. Harleys Urites looked more like cottage cheese, this was a goo like substance.....?????? Anyone know if that's a Russian thing?

I will be having him tested for Parasites this week.

I look forward to raising this lil guy (or gal)

Attachments

• 20140223_194621_resized.jpg
    20140223_194621_resized.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 20140223_194558_resized_1.jpg
    20140223_194558_resized_1.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 87

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I am sorry for your loss. Congrats on your new addition to the family .

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lisa welcome to the TFO from AZ. Sorry for your loss . Good luck with the RT. :)

kezilulu

Awww so sorry for your loss!
Yeah the white goop sounds like my Russian's urates lol you're going to find him amazing they have such personalities!
xXx

canicke

You never know what youre gonna get when you take on a rescue. Good on ya for tryin! Blessings for you and your newbie