Steralizing leaves

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I've got a bunch of red oak leaves I want to steralize, but I'm trying to avoid a situation @Karen(pebbles) had🤣🤣🤣
(I saw her previous thread and I don't want the same thing to happen, so I came to make sure)
Do I place them in water, then in the oven at 180C for twenty minutes?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sterilizing leaves? 🤷‍♂️ I’m confused. So, so, so,so, so, so, (x 100) so many questions? Why?

Why are you worried about red oak leaves? To feed? For substrate? Why….?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Sterilizing leaves? 🤷‍♂️ I’m confused. So, so, so,so, so, so, (x 100) so many questions? Why?

Why are you worried about red oak leaves? To feed? For substrate? Why….?
I'd like to add them to my hingebacks enclosure. They like dense cover, I may use stinkhout (celtis africanus) leaves as well.
I want to steralize it because it was recommended in a hingeback caresheet.
Both leaves often times have small insects, like mites on them, and it would also remove contaminants like different types of funguses.
(So I want to steralize them as recommended. I mentioned the red oak for incase its leaves were toxic)

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Where Maro2 lives, Red Oaks and White Oaks are the prevalent trees so we see turtles in them all the time, Matilda is soaking in them now.....(think Marge, from the Palmolive commercials)...lol

I do understand your caution.....I put them in a plastic grocery bag, place bag in bright sun for a few days...there won't be anything alive in there when I took them out.....it's worked well for me to keep out the rollers and fliers! I learned the hard way too....bugs multiply....and some make a lot of NOISE!!!