Still eating ?

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Wondering if your outside box turtles are still eating ? Mine are but are starting to slow down ,every year I worry .Anybody living up north have any special tips to share ,please feel free to add any advice.....how far down do you think they really go ? I've seen them overwinter right at ground level, do you think they can freeze?it seems that they do....all these years and I still get stressed.thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Wondering if your outside box turtles are still eating ? Mine are but are starting to slow down ,every year I worry .Anybody living up north have any special tips to share ,please feel free to add any advice.....how far down do you think they really go ? I've seen them overwinter right at ground level, do you think they can freeze?it seems that they do....all these years and I still get stressed.thank you
What's the weather like back there? Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter, which could be the case.

How about a visit to a vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, same here in Central California. Mine don't usually stop eating until towards the end of October.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Depending on the weather, I stop feeding mine by the first to middle of October. I spend the next few weeks giving them daily soaks and by November....it's see you next spring:( now I've already started preparing some of their hibernation spots by loosening up the soil and been adding dried oak leaves and grass clippings. I live in Ohio and from what Ive seen most were down at about the 4-6 inch range. I had about 3 ft of leaf, grass, and straw litter on top of them. This is probably why they didn't go down too deep plus the winter was mild.

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in the PNW, don't allow mine to hibernate, but yes, they CAN freeze.