Stinging Nettle

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Has anyone fed stinging nettle to their tortoises? I know it is healthy and how to prepare for humans to eliminate the sting, but what about for tortoises?

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Has anyone fed stinging nettle to their tortoises? I know it is healthy and how to prepare for humans to eliminate the sting, but what about for tortoises?
Supposedly they're fine for tortoises! Some people say to let them wilt first, while others say their torts will eat them regardless... I personally haven't tried, but I know my tortoise walks right through it outdoors with no problems. Seems immune to the sting. Maybe it's similar to how they don't mind the annoying, painful little hairs on spineless opuntia pads... Tortoise magic.

Clawem

Mine love it don't forget gloves lol. Mine also like poison ivy go figure.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Stinging nettle doesn't do anything to me, no need for gloves. But I have seen what it does to some people and yikes!

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Stinging nettle doesn't do anything to me, no need for gloves. But I have seen what it does to some people and yikes!
I'm one of those people... My Russian decides to use it for shade when she's romping around our little yard, and I'm the one who eventually has to get her out. The first time, I didn't even notice the kind of plant she was under, and my hand was a total mess x/

Clawem

With me the poison ivy is no problem but the nettle gets me.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Nettles have prickles that aim upward. I often pick the tops barehanded to add to my stew. The trick is to slide the fingers upward as i harvest them. I still get nailed slightly occasionally, but i don't mind much.

One can even eat nettle tips raw by first stroking them well in the direction the needles point, then wadding the piece up and massaging it a little.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! "Everything you always wanted to know about nettles but were afraid to ask"