Stopped eating

Lameslob

Location (City and/or State)
North Yorkshire
Hi,

I have a 2 year old Herman’s who has been very active and doing well lately. But about a week ago he stopped eating. Everything he would usually eat he’s not interested in. Romain lettuce, dandelions were his favourite, even the shop bought pellets he would usually eat he won’t touch.
He has now developed a white patch around his mouth.
I’ve been bathing him regularly, the temp on his enclosure is set at 32 degrees and he has a UVB light that stays on a good portion of the day for him.
He constantly tries to get out of his enclosure (but he has always done that since I got him).
Any advice welcome as I’m getting concerned now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I have a 2 year old Herman’s who has been very active and doing well lately. But about a week ago he stopped eating. Everything he would usually eat he’s not interested in. Romain lettuce, dandelions were his favourite, even the shop bought pellets he would usually eat he won’t touch.
He has now developed a white patch around his mouth.
I’ve been bathing him regularly, the temp on his enclosure is set at 32 degrees and he has a UVB light that stays on a good portion of the day for him.
He constantly tries to get out of his enclosure (but he has always done that since I got him).
Any advice welcome as I’m getting concerned now.
There are four temperatures to know and maintain. Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low. Where is it 32?

What heating and lighting are you using? What type of UV bulb? You said the UV bulb is on a good portion go the day, but for how long, and how long is the rest of the heating and lighting on?

What size is the enclosure? What substrate are you using?

With the answers to these questions we should be able to help get you sorted. Its important to get this all corrected now because it is much too early in the season for brumation prep to start.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Some more information would be good if that’s ok, temp wise as Tom said above, there’s multiple readings to consider, your basking temp(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, ie middle and cooler side, then night temps, do you know what they all are?
How’s your humidity? Babies need it higher, yours shouldn’t for much longer at 2 but would definitely benefit for now, are they in a closed set up?
What are you using for heating/lighting specifically? As in what type of bulbs?
What do you use for substrate?

A photo of your full set up along with a pic of your tortoise would be great!🐢💚